Red Velvet - Do You Like It?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 30 May 2009 , 2:03am by izzy1953

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 46

Several people told me that Red Velvet cake tastes so good. When I looked at the inexpedience, sounds to me just regular cake with so much of red coloring. I never ever taste this cake. I always though that it is made from strawberries.....
Do you like it, and why? (I checked the recipe here on CC)

45 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 46

It's okay..It tastes like chocolate with red food coloring to me!! Many rave about it though...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 46

I love it if it's from scratch (sarah's recipe on this site) but not from a box mix. It's not really chocolate, it has a taste of it's own. Seems people either love it or hate.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 46

I think lots of people don't even realize that it's just dyed mild chocolate cake. I don't think they even stop to think what it is. maybe they think it's made with delicious velvet??

To answer your question, I like it as much as I'd like any chocolate cake. If it's good...yes. If it's bad...not so much.
It's a wedding cake trend started by Oprah, that to me, is not about the taste.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 46

My stepmom says her family always raved over her red velvet and she has to make it every Christmas.... I tried it once expecting stars to shoot off and it was, I dunno, kinda dry and not "chocolately" to me....I didn't like it at all!

I like the Duncan Hines kind ok but I don't think it really has that distinct of a flavor. I've only really used it when the inside of a cake calls for a rather "bloody" appearance. haha.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I think lots of people don't even realize that it's just dyed mild chocolate cake. I don't think they even stop to think what it is. maybe they think it's made with delicious velvet??

Hahahhahaha Yum delicious velvet.. so i wonder if those gawdy velvet paintings are Tasty! ahahahahahahahah.

I hate red velvet cake. Even when made with no taste red it still just taste like red food coloring .. YUCK thumbsdown.gif

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 46

I have wondered the same thing. As someone who does not relish consuming large amounts of food coloring, I can never quite understand the appeal of this cake. I have heard that it was originally created by accident--some chemical reaction between the baking powder and cocoa gave the cake a reddish tint and was renamed "Red Velvet."

I get that though. Many of my own inventions have been a result of something I did not intend. Come up with a fancy new name and voila! All good.

Also, "mild chocolate." Hmmm... I mostly like my chocolate not-so-mild.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 46

not a fan either but I have friends who rave about it

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 46

To me it tastes like red food coloring...yuck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 46

To me its a lighter version of a chocolate cake.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 46

personally i think there are WAY too many other cake flavors out there that are better. red velvet from scratch is a pain to make for a "just ok" cake, to me the taste is not worth the effort. i guess people like it for the novelty more than anything.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnj

I have wondered the same thing. As someone who does not relish consuming large amounts of food coloring, I can never quite understand the appeal of this cake. I have heard that it was originally created by accident--some chemical reaction between the baking powder and cocoa gave the cake a reddish tint and was renamed "Red Velvet."

I get that though. Many of my own inventions have been a result of something I did not intend. Come up with a fancy new name and voila! All good.

Also, "mild chocolate." Hmmm... I mostly like my chocolate not-so-mild.

It's not the baking powder and the cocoa, it's the vinegar and buttermilk and the cocoa. Possibly also beet juice, which was used in place of food coloring during WWII.

I like the flavor of it--I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate cakes. But it's a pain in the arse to make and I've never actually succeeded in having it not FALL LIKE A FALLING THING. I'd rather make a German chocolate cake, personally--with SMBC rather than that awful coconut-pecan stuff. thumbsdown.gif (Me and coconut don't get along that well.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 46

Tastes like chicken ... uh, I mean chocolate, to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:17am
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Tastes like chicken ... uh, I mean chocolate, to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Candy.. Tastes like chicken if chicken were candy..."

Hahhaha Indydebi you made me think of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite cartoons... hahahahhaahah

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:31am
post #15 of 46

I do not care for RV cake at all. I think it's gross... Just tastes like sweet flour to me.

And I don't consider any cake that has between 1 tsp and 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder in it to be "chocolate".

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:35am
post #16 of 46

I like it. It's quite moist. My brother is a big fan of red velvet.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:52am
post #17 of 46

I havent tried the RV cake mix, but have a recipe to bake it from scratch and found it to be great.

There are a ton of recipes out there for this cake and all of them differ one to the next, as people personalized them and make it their own.

Like any other cake recipe I guess it's a matter of finding something you like or making it suit your personal taste.

Me personally I like red velvet cake, and bake with it quite often.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:17am
post #18 of 46

This is going to sound stupid , but I dont think I have ever tried it before lol!!! icon_redface.gif

Some cake maker I am huh lol!!!!

Im gonna have to try it in the near future

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:37am
post #19 of 46

Nope, I don't care for it. It tastes like a bitter anemic chocolate cake...too little chocolate to really taste like chocolate, and way too much food color to taste good. Also, in my experience, it has always been dry, no matter who made it. It's everywhere here in the south, so it's not just my Aunt Mildred's cake I am talking about.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:10am
post #20 of 46

I have never tried it but I feel I might not like it,I had some extra batter once and added some cocoa powder and red food coloring just to have an idea of the taste.I HATED it sooooo much I binned it, and trust me I have NEVER binned a cake in my entire life,I couldn't possibly bin a cake I'm too greedy to do that. I didn't even think of giving it out,it just belonged in the trash at that time.
I will try and make it again properly, sometime in the future to be sure I don't actually like it, but I'm not looking forward to it.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:13am
post #21 of 46

I don't care for it too much....scratch or boxed. It tastes like red food coloring and it's not really that chocolatey...if thats a word. I agree with someone else who says its far too much trouble for a not so hot cake when there are so many AWESOME flavors out there. My opinion only.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:15am
post #22 of 46

I was curious about red velvet cake... I'd only heard of it since coming onto Cake Central (it's not really known about in the UK... only other 'hard core' bakers would know about it, LOL!)

I had a go.

At first bite, it was very, very sweet... THEN I was hit with a bitter after-taste. I think I used too much red food colouring? And I could really taste the baking soda (but then, I kind of always taste baking soda in cakes, so maybe that's just me?).

I'll give it another go, though, with less food colouring. THEN I'll make my mind up.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #23 of 46

It's also the vinegar that I just feel yuckkyy all over when I think about making a cake. VINEGAR??? I still dont know what the vinegar is for!! Give me a good old fashioned, straight across the board CHOCOLATE cake and I'm one happy camper...or caker...or both LOL!!

Edited to add....Relznik your signature is hilarious!!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Edited to add....Relznik your signature is hilarious!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #25 of 46

Red velvet cake is not supposed to taste like chocolate. After all, it only has a tablespoon or two in it. The only reason it has any cocoa powder at all is to keep the red from tasing bitter. I can't explain the vinegar because I'm not up on all the science involved in baking. I am one of the ones who straddles the fence on scratch vs. mix (because I use both), but in the case of RV cake scratch is the only way to go. Box mixes are chocolate cake with red coloring added. Scratch RV is not like that at all.

The recipe I use is Chef Stef's. It is really good, but I decrease the oil a little bit because I thought it was too moist of a cake. I don't taste bitter red OR chocolate. If you are expecting a chocolate taste, you'll probably be let down by the scratch RV. It has such a light flavor that I really don't know how to put into words. Here's what I use:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7366-Chef-Stefs-southern-red-velvet-cake.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #26 of 46

i,m from the sourth,, i love it.. love it.. never had a bitter one. this is one cake that i do make from scatch.. have several different peoples recipes. cakemanraven...etc.. make 2 different kinds of icing for it.. depends on my mood for that day.. bake it for several clients also.. we are all different.. and like different tastes .. that is ok..

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #27 of 46

i read somewhere in a technical cookbook that it's origins are actually a yellow cake with a small amount of cocoa to give it something you can't quite put your finger on. i don't get the red food coloring thing since it's a total waste of money and time, and alot of people have a reaction to red food dye. i've actually got one in the oven right now, no food coloring, so i guess it's just a velvet cake! it's quite good...i used the "easy red velvet" box mix recipe here on cc that got 5 stars...sorry can't remember who created it!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #28 of 46

Red Velvet used to be a request my family made of me every Christmas. I like it and it does not taste bitter to me. It is a very moist cake. I make it from scratch and I have used the mix depending on time.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:21am
post #29 of 46

there's a bakery here that has red velvet and they advertised it on TV and I thought I'd give it a try. I was so disappointed! It tasted like a chocolate cake with dark red coloring. it was quite dry too. totally not like the red velvet i made and the one my family and I enjoy.

ETA
jammjenks, thanks for posting that link. it doesn't seem as complicated as the recipe i used before. i might give that one a try.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #30 of 46

Im not a cake eater but when I have leftover RV batter I will make cupcakes and eat one. Its the only cake I like. I make it from scratch with cream cheese frosting and it is YUMMY! I have all the teachers and office staff at my daughters school hooked on my RV cake. Its all they order now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%