Does It Bother You When They Don't Email To Say Thanks?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 25 May 2009 , 5:29pm by alanaj

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 11

I do alot of cakes for a Birthday Theme company here in my city.Many times the customer will email me back and forth on the cake they decide to order.I had a cake go out yesterday which was very pretty(Under the sea cake) and the owner of the Birthday company emails me about 1 hour after they pick it up and "Ooohs and Ahhhs" over the cake Thanking me for doing such great work and how it makes her birthday company look sooo good.Margaret and I have a great working relationship and she sends me alot of business...But it kinda irks me that the customer doesn't even bother to email and say anything icon_mad.gif ...let alone Thankyou after I spent so much time emailing back and forth to get her daughter's cake they way she wanted it! I don't usually care or expect whether a customer phones,emails whatever as business is business as most people just don't call after everything is over..I get that!!! But it just feels like some customer nowadays really could care less about common courtesy...If someone makes me a cake,goes out of their way to make my day special or really does something for me I truly appreciate..I take the time to at least say Thankyou...I really appreciate your time or you made my child's day special etc....I know..I know..I'm gonna get responses from CC members saying "Suck it up" People are not obligated to email or call you icon_rolleyes.gif .They paid you for your services and that's it.It just kinda makes you feel under appreciated. icon_wink.gif

Okay I'll go eat my Brownies now that I just took out of the oven... thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

10 replies
sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 11

I understand. I don't get to upset but I always feel a little concerned about the taste and if they liked the final outcome. I often have to deliver the cake and leave before they have seen the cake and when I don't hear back from them. I makes me wonder if the cake was everything they hoped it would be. But like you mentioned everyone tells its better to not hear back then to hear back bad things.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Does it bother you when they don't email to say Thanks?

nope.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 11

For me, no news is good news, and I get all the thanks I need when I cash the check they used to pay me for the cake! icon_wink.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 11

It's nice when it happens but nope I don't care if they don't.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 11

I have to admit - if I was using a company as you describe to set up a party for me, I don't think it would even occur to me to contact the cake decorator that the company set me up with.

I'll thank the person I dealt with at the company, but as far as I would be concerned, THEY are the company I've hired to do this service for me - I'll thank my contact there. It's like any other job that's subcontracted out - you don't thank the subcontractor, you thank the person you hired to do the job.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

For me, no news is good news, and I get all the thanks I need when I cash the check they used to pay me for the cake! icon_wink.gif

Ditto, I'd rather them not email me to say thanks (not like I did them a favor anyway) than to have them email me asking for a full refund for some lame reason.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 11

At first it use to bother me all the time. My husband would tell me that I shouldn't expect it but you spend hours out of your days to make the perfect cake for someone and then to just let it go and never hear anything about it...........it stings a little. I get it. But when I do get the thank you notes in the mail, or emails its great and just makes my day.........I always post them for the staff to read and we all give ourselves alittle pat on the back icon_smile.gif

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:08am
post #9 of 11

No, why should it bother me?

They placed an order, I provided a service, got my money, that's it.

I bought a skirt the other day, but it never occured to me to e-mail or call and thank them for the skirt. I don't call the manager of the grocery store every time I'm there.... I don't know anyone who does.

If this really bothers you, I suggest either quitting cakes or finding some way to deal with it, because it happens all the time.

There are times when a customer calls or writes to thank me for the cake, or I get a card from a couple who got married, thanking me. It makes my day, but I would never EXPECT it to happen, and neither should you.

sharless Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharless Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 11

It used to bother me, but now that I post my cakes on CC and FB I get a lot of positive feedback, which is really what I am looking for. It's just nice to hear you've done a good job after you put so much time and effort into something.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 11

I take repeat orders and referrals as the best thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%