Leaning Tower Of Pisa

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 24 May 2009 , 12:26am by Rylan

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 7

Help! I need to do a cake about Italy and they want the Leaning tower of Pisa. I am thinking about chocolate for that. Any ideas???

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 7

Oooh, cool order!

Depending on how tall you make it--I recommend making the top of it out of foam so gravity doesn't do it's thing.

And my other thought is 'Leaning Tower of Pisa' is generally the kind of cakes we want to avoid!!! Fun to get to make a real one!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

caption for the cake...

well from some angles it looks straight!! (esp. if you've had one too many!)

then I'd cheat! see diagram below.

for base just take a layer cake and split and flip as in little image in upper left.

tower can be all cake.

the church to side can be cake too -- too small to worry about leaning.

so of an "un"topsy-turvy!
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 7

oh and for extra fun...

fondant figures...you know - tourists!....

all leaning at same angle as base .. .one on top of tower getting ready to drop something

and of course the every requisite one acting the fool trying to hold up the tower

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:31am
post #5 of 7

Great idea Doug! --As for decorating it, I wonder if it would be easy to measure your tube of cake, roll out a strip of fondant mixed with a bit of gumpaste and using a pattern of an oval arch, cut out the window from the pattern. It has 6 levels, so you can roll out 6 measured strips, use your arch window pattern and just trim them and lay them on along the top of each other making sure the legs/pillars align all the way down the cake. I don't think it's necessary to do the exact same number of arches as on the tower, but enough to get the right effect would be sufficient. I would use royal icing for any other decorations you wanted to add...

The top of the tower was not completed at the same time and was later finished leaning to the left, but just makes the whole tower look even more crooked. So if you planned to put a small cake there, you can just trim a wedge off the bottom on one side to make it lean a bit more to the left, opposite of the right leaning base.

Hope that helps. I have seen the tower and it is beautiful. Funny how the other churches nearby don't get as much glory because they are stunning.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the GREAT ideas. Way better than my chocolate mold idea.
Yes, I absolutely must have a tourist holding it up.

Thanks again!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #7 of 7

THis is such a great idea. Now, I kind of want to make something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%