How Would You Do These Letters?

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 22 May 2009 , 8:59pm by SJ169

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I have been asked to do an engagment cake and they gave me a picture they like. My quesiton is how would you do these letters? They are very big, do they make cutters that big or would you try and free hand it??
TIA!!!
LL

7 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 8

I think most people print then on a computer first.

There is a lady who puts print out covered in wax paper on a glass table with a light shining under it, rolls her fondant thin and cuts around it.

You can also cut the printed letters out (better if on card stock), place them on top of the fondant and trace around them with a toothpick or if you don't want to cut them out use the pin prick method.
Place the whole printed sheet on top of the fondanct and use a straight pin and poke holes along the outer edge of the letters..this will create an impression in the fondant. Remove the paper and you should have an outline you can cut around.

Hope one of these ideas works for you.

SJ169 Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 8

Perfect. Thank you, i think i will try the pin prick method. I dont have a glass table to try the other way.
Thanks alot!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 8

That's a cute font! Silly gave you the ways that I would do it too!

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 8

I print them out, cut out the letters with an exacto knife, then use the letters as a template and cut them out of fondant with an exacto. Works so well and you don't get "stray pin holes".

Good luck!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 8

yea i use an exacto knife also. way easier than the toothpick. another idea is when you cut the patten out of cardstock, set it on the rolled out fondant, and then press lightly and thta will actually make an outline for you to cute with scizzors or whatever.

...i just thought of something else i am actually palnning on trying but havn't done it yet. i', pretty sure if you just print the whole word or whatever out on any kind of paper, lay the whole thing over your rolled out fondant and gently trace the letters on the paper with something. a pencil or probably a toothpick would work also, then paick up the paper and you should have the entire thing outlined on the fondant in a slight impression.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

yep. make template with cardstock and trace out with exacto!

SJ169 Posted 22 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! I like the exacto idea icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%