I'm At A Loss.....wasc Cake!!

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 21 May 2009 , 5:55pm by sillywabbitz

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I've made the WASC cake twice! I've spent all morning baking, expensive ingredients, etc. to do an 8" and 6" cake for my Grandaughter. Neither time has this cake came out ok. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but the 6" cakes were horrible. They caved in really bad on the sides. The 8" isn't as bad, but I can't use it. We'll eat it here I guess or I'll freeze it for something else. I don't know what's so great about this cake? Thanks for any input......

4 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 5

I have never had any issues with the WASC recipe. I try to make sure my ingredients are room temp and I don't open the oven until the timer goes off

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 5

I think the most important thing is to NOT open the oven door until you absolutely have to. Use the oven light. This cake is delicious. My family can not get enough. It is a very moist cake though and will fall. HTH

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

What kind of cake mix were you using? I had that happen to me but I wasn't using the WASC recipe. I always use Duncan Hines and I had to bake a 8 inch cake 4 time before it came out fine. I think it might have been the batch of cakes mixes that was produced. The cake mixes that didn't turn out I had bought from Meijers and after the 3rd one not turning out I ran to Walmart (where I normally purchase my cake mixes) and that one turned out fine. Just curious to see what brand of cake mix you used?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 5

What exactly is wrong with them? Are they sticky, weak? What specifically is the issue?

The one thing I noticed when I first started baking WASC was that if I took it out too early it was a bit sticky.

Also what are you using to keep your cake from sticking? When I use the PAM with flour my cake sides didn't come out well. Now I use the home made cake release and they come out great every time

I like my WASC to cook until the tops are golden brown. That seems to take the sticky away. I'm sure many people will give you feedback since it's such a popular recipe.

Edit: just saw that you mentioned they caved in on the sides...not sure exactly what that means...still wondering if undercooked or bad batch of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%