Aarrrggg!! People Make Me So Mad!!

Business By amandasweetcakes Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:21pm by alvarezmom

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 19

I posted last weekend how I delivered a cake and the customer was a no show. Of course, now she says her husband was there waiting. He wasn't. I emailed her with a bill. No surprise she said she was not paying for my incompetence. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

I really hate people. It only takes one customer, one crappy person to just ruin everything. It is days like these that I want to quit.

I'm just so angry. I wrote her back said I was there, that I would never not deliver a cake or never break an agreement. I told her that I learned that I can't trust anyone. And then I said Shame on You!!

Anyway, I just had to vent, thanks!

18 replies
chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 19

Sorry this happened to you. I wish I had some advice but I dont sell my cakes. I mainly do them for friends and family. Dont quit..... This mean customer isnt worth your time. Feel better!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 19

Good for you! Shame on her is right. Just remember the old saying "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch". Sorry you had to deal with such a lowlife. icon_sad.gif

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 19

I would have asked her since she said her husband was there, why weren't there any phone calls, texts, or emails wondering where you were until now? Seems to me she would have a hard time explaining that one. Chalk this up to experience, move on, but don't let it happen again. Like you said it only takes one customer/person to ruin it for you. Don't give up, you do beautiful cakes, remember that, and there are nice people out there! Like You!

amandasweetcakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 19

I actually did say that in my email. I called and left her numerous messages while I waited for one hour. I called both her cell and home number, if they were wondering where I was wouldn't they have picked up their cell??? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 19

I guess I missed the original post...so you went to make a delivery and no one was there to accept? So did you bring the cake back to your shop/home?

This is why I demand payment with order if the order is under $400. If over that, then they can pay the $300 deposit and pay the balance 2 weeks prior to event. I never even pop a cake in the oven until I have 100% of my money in hand!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 19

Always get payment in advance then if they don't show it's their loss.

amandasweetcakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 19

I definitely have to make that a new rule. I usually just accept payment upon delivery or pick up. I'm too trusting, I guess. Now I am also not going to deliver accept for weddings. So...NO Delivery and Payment first.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 19

I only deliver if the cake is at least $100 and my minimum delivery amount is $25 and $1 per mile after that. (so if a place is 20 miles from me I charge $40 for the round trip)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 19

I learned my lesson the hard way just like you. Now I ask for payment up front.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 19

Sorry that happened to you... but now you know to ALWAYS get a deposit and then you won't have to worry about something like this happening again. icon_smile.gif

amandasweetcakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 19

I also thought it took a lot of nerve for her to call me INCOMPETENT!!!
When she is nothing but a liar icon_mad.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 19

That sucks! Your cakes are beautiful so dont let her stop you from making great cakes!

But I feel you. I went through this last week for Mother's Day. My cousin ordered $60 worth of chocolate covered strawberries from me and my sister's fiance $20 worth and both of them bailed on me. I wasnt mad just a little irritated. I cant believe even family would do that.

My husband said that next time I do something like this that payment is in hand before I make anything!!! I'm taking his advise.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 19

Sorry that happened.

People pay up front w/ mail order clothes/shoes/ products, and they don't get weirdo like that. Interesting isn't it.

alvarezmom Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 19

Yes very...It's like you pay for your meal before you eat it and you think paying for something you ordered you can pay when ever you want.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 19

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I had a gremlin plant a sinister little idea in my brain. What if the hubby WAS there, but he was, shall we say, "indisposed" with the neighbor lady, and couldn't answer the door. Then he tells the wife he was there, ALONE, and no one came, so he doesn't get caught with his pants down?? LOL I watch waaaay too much daytime TV.

amandasweetcakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #17 of 19

lmao icon_lol.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #18 of 19

I once had a girl order a cake from my shop. She said it was for her mother and could I deliver. She didn't drive. I said yes (stupidly) and didn't take a deposit.

The day I went to deliver it I found out the address was a small low-income community housing project. When I went to the door, the father came out and said that no-one there had ordered the cake. I told them the name of the girl that ordered it and his wife came out and said that was a girl that had been bullying there daughter at the high school. She must have ordered it to get to her. They asked how much she owed and said they were sorry. The wife talked to the husband and they said we will pay you.
They couldn't afford that cake.... so I asked the girl who had was being harassed if it was her birthday and she said no. I said it is now! Happy Birthday. I gave them the cake and got the real address of the girl who ordered it.

I felt like turning her into to the police but telling her mother was sufficient enough!

alvarezmom Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades

I once had a girl order a cake from my shop. She said it was for her mother and could I deliver. She didn't drive. I said yes (stupidly) and didn't take a deposit.

The day I went to deliver it I found out the address was a small low-income community housing project. When I went to the door, the father came out and said that no-one there had ordered the cake. I told them the name of the girl that ordered it and his wife came out and said that was a girl that had been bullying there daughter at the high school. She must have ordered it to get to her. They asked how much she owed and said they were sorry. The wife talked to the husband and they said we will pay you.
They couldn't afford that cake.... so I asked the girl who had was being harassed if it was her birthday and she said no. I said it is now! Happy Birthday. I gave them the cake and got the real address of the girl who ordered it.

I felt like turning her into to the police but telling her mother was sufficient enough!

WOW!!! That is crazy. Girls can be so petty. I think I would have told the girls mother and called the cops! That's horrible though for both you and the girl who was being harrassed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%