How Many Of You Cake Biz Owners...

Business By cakesdivine Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:26am by fosterscreations

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 23

also own or co-own with your significant other another business totally unrelated to cakes?

Yes I'm killing time...I do have a wedding cake order for today, but stupid me forgot to take out the butter from the fridge last night so having to wait until it is soft enough to make my BC... icon_lol.gif Luckily it is a very small, very basic cake...the one order that actually ordered from my $99 econo wed cake line...LOL! everyone else who contacted me from that ad ordered bigger custom designed cakes...icon_wink.gif

Now back to my question...Who else owns something else...biz wise that is icon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 23

You dont need to wait for your butter to come to room temp pop it in the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds and test it do it again if needed.
Good Luck!

cakesdivine Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

You dont need to wait for your butter to come to room temp pop it in the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds and test it do it again if needed.
Good Luck!

NO WAY! icon_eek.gif Tried that years ago, totally ruins the butter. Makes the icing gritty and greasy...I'll wait, My icing is what my customers swear by, so no taking shortcuts allowed... icon_wink.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 23

gee never had that problem ever! But good to know. happy waiting!
I am of to bake more.......

cakesdivine Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 23

Just realized I never put what other biz's I own...LOL

A dance studio, a dance competition/workshop intensive, and a Christmas light install & home decorating service.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 23

Oh, 30 seconds on some microwaves is too high. I know on mine it is. I do ten second incriments until its soft. But you have to be careful because sometimes you will get the whole stick melted!
Well myself, I dont have another business but my husband does. Along with being a Director at the Naval Academy, he also teaches at the local community college and then has a side business of audio recording.
I dont think I would have time for another business myself. Between my two young daughters and trying to keep up with the housework, I dont get much time to do other things.

cakesdivine Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Oh, 30 seconds on some microwaves is too high. I know on mine it is. I do ten second incriments until its soft. But you have to be careful because sometimes you will get the whole stick melted!
Well myself, I dont have another business but my husband does. Along with being a Director at the Naval Academy, he also teaches at the local community college and then has a side business of audio recording.
I dont think I would have time for another business myself. Between my two young daughters and trying to keep up with the housework, I dont get much time to do other things.

Yeah, forgot to mention..my kids are grown and no grand kids yet either...My girls swear they don't want kids anytime soon (ages 24 & 21), my youngest is a few months shy of 18 and he will be out the door...LOL!

So I don't have little ones I have to tend to ... Totally understand you def. have your hands full! thumbs_up.gif

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 23

I don't really own another business, but I do clowning as a hobby that I would like to earn money off of (someday, to pay for the toys/tools/costumes associated with it). Oh, and I work as a paralegal. Sometimes I think I have way too many irons in the fire, (for me). Others have no problem juggling careers and kids. I have no kids, but I can only function on low stress levels...

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Good Luck!

NO WAY! icon_eek.gif Tried that years ago, totally ruins the butter. Makes the icing gritty and greasy...I'll wait, My icing is what my customers swear by, so no taking shortcuts allowed... icon_wink.gif

I'll put my butter in the microwave for about 9 seconds, let it rest at least a minute or two, then 5 or 6 seconds at a time (w/ a few minutes in between) till it's just right. No grit, & saves a bumch of time!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 23

I work very part-time for city gov'mint, DH and I own a B&B, an extended stay rental and another regular rental property, he works PT teaching too. No kids at home and no grandkids in state. Oh yeah, and I make cakes, lol.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 23

Besides my cake business, I own and work at a Salon/Spa........totally mine though. My dh is in banking so he does take care of my accounting stuff for both businesses.

Our kids are both in college, my DD will be 21 soon and has her own apartment with 2 friends but my 19 yr old son is home (when not away at school).

Leahs......My DH and I have always said that when we *semi* retire we'd love to move up to northern New England and open a B & B. Any words of advice or warning......LOL!!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 23

I bow down to those of you who have other jobs! When do you ever get time for yourself?

Deb_ Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I bow down to those of you who have other jobs! When do you ever get time for yourself?

For me, when my kids were young (pre HS graduation) I only did cakes for family/friends because I wasn't licensed.

When we moved to MA and I became licensed they were almost finished w/HS so I had a lot more time on my hands to start building my cake business.

My Salon is busiest from Thurs - Sat., so Sun - Wed I have a lot of down time and this is when I bake.

I'm the type of person who probably won't retire completely (hence the B & B idea), I can't stand idle time.........I think it's a curse actually! icon_lol.gif I relax standing up!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Time for ourself? We're working moms! Who has time for THAT!? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When I had a full time job, in addition to doing this, I survived on 4 hours sleep a day for about a year and a half. I stopped wearing contacts and makeup (not to sound like a 60's earthshoe liberal but wow, that was liberating, not having to spend that kind of time fixing my face every single day!).

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 23

wow you guys are powerhouses!! i don't own another biz per se but i do occasionally facepaint at parties (cakes included of course!!) it's so fun and if i had a car (and liscence) i could do so much more-but it's just not the time yet. my kids are pretty young still and i guess i'm taking it slow. i've had ideas brewing about whole party packages including my services (i often wonder about going through some of those party rental places (hmm...wheels are churning)

cakesdivine Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:

For me, when my kids were young (pre HS graduation) I only did cakes for family/friends because I wasn't licensed.

When we moved to MA and I became licensed they were almost finished w/HS so I had a lot more time on my hands to start building my cake business.

My Salon is busiest from Thurs - Sat., so Sun - Wed I have a lot of down time and this is when I bake.

I'm the type of person who probably won't retire completely (hence the B & B idea), I can't stand idle time.........I think it's a curse actually! icon_lol.gif I relax standing up!! icon_biggrin.gif

You sound like me Dkelly! Cakes are my retirement biz! LOL! Got dragged back into the dance studio biz by my honey cuz he was tired of making others rich off his name & exp. So he decided to open the studio, and of course I'm included in this venture. I go stir crazy if I'm not doing something productive. I'll slow down when I'm in the grave I suppose icon_smile.gif

When the kids were little I too didn't do cakes as a business, once the two oldest were in Jr. High & highschool and after I closed the studio is when I opened my cake biz.

Deb_ Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #17 of 23

I really wish we lived near you guys..........we'd love to be able to dance together without stepping on each others feet icon_lol.gif

They have some dance instruction on our On Demand (cable)..........you would literally keel over with laughter if you saw the two of us. We start out real serious, but then we end up screwing up so bad that we're laughing our heads off halfway through the lesson.

Dance lessons is one of the things on our *list* of things we want to do together now that the kids are older.

We're starting to really enjoy this new chapter in our marriage, I just can't believe how quickly the years have gone by.

Can't wait to have Grandchildren............after college and marriage hopefully! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #18 of 23
Quote:

NEVER!

In addition to cakes I am also a Master's student part-time, I work 40-hours per week and until recently helped people write resumes for a fee. And even though it seems like a lot, to tell you the truth, on the rare occasion I have nothing pressing to do, I almost feel lost or even depressed. It's like you just get used to that feeling of needing a nap, but having no time to take one. You just keep going. Your body and your mind just adapt to the demands.

Either that or I am so overwhelmed I have become completely dilusional! icon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #19 of 23

Oh yeah, I should also mention that I am married with two toddlers! (3 if you count my husband.)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:05am
post #20 of 23

I work full time as a supervisor at an insurance company. I have a husband and two children ages 1 and 2. I literally squeeze cakes into my schedule.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #21 of 23

I work full time as a supervisor at an insurance company. I have a husband and two children ages 1 and 2. I literally squeeze cakes into my schedule.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #22 of 23

My husband and I have 2 kids, one 12 and one just turning 18 and graduating. She has been homeschooled since 3rd grade. We own a Home Repair and Maintenance business, I own a website where I sell vintage items and we are just starting the sheetrock on my legal in-home bakery.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:26am
post #23 of 23

In addition to cakes I also make bath and body products, jewelry and do website and graphic design work. All of them under the Foster's Creattions biz name. I picked that name in case I ever wanted to shift focus of the biz.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%