Painting With Food Coloring

Decorating By e2_erin Updated 14 May 2009 , 11:47am by Texas_Rose

e2_erin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
e2_erin Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 4

How do you paint with food coloring? I have gel colors, do I have to thin it with something? Can you paint buttercream or does it have to be fondant? Im only painting small areas but they need to be black and I dont want to have to try and make black frosting or fondant.

3 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 4

ive only painted fondant but i thin with water

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 4

when you paint fondant, means a drawing, you mix with white rum, vodka, the gel color, the alcohol will evaporate.

To paint black is very hard, it is better to make a chocolate frosting or buttercream and then add the colorant you will use lessm To paint fondant you have to add a lot of colorant, but you can do the same and with the frosting add toh your fondant cocoa and then the color.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:47am
post #4 of 4

I've painted white fondant black before...it was on this http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355213

DH was working on the gun with me but he couldn't wait for me to get the kids into bed and then color the fondant black icon_biggrin.gif So it was totally white, except the grip which was a light orange, and then I painted it. It took 5 days to dry because I couldn't thin the color down much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%