Color Flow Color And Tip Help Needed

Decorating By dovelady Updated 13 May 2009 , 11:27pm by dovelady

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 3

I am making the following cake for my grandsons first birthday with several modifications..

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1316439

I am making a truck out of color flow to put on top. First question..I just tried to color the color flow red. Needless to say I have pink icing. Am I wasting my time trying to get it red? I have the Wilton Red Red color and its just not red!

Also can someone give me an idea of what tip is used for the white border at the bottom of each layer?

Thanks for any help!

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 3

For you to achieve a deep, true red, you need to use a LOT of red color. Don't stop at pink ~ just keep going.

Having said that, when I do deep or dark colors in royal icing or color flow, such as dark blue, black, and red, I add an extra heaping tablespoon of meringue powder or color flow mix while I am making the icing, which helps to strengthen the icing and compensate for all of the extra liquid you are adding to it with the icing color.

I had some gorgeous red RI poppies and a huge color flow piece done primarily in dark blue and black crumble on me before I learned to add extra meringue powder or color flow mix to my icing.

Depending on the size of the cake, I believe either a 125 or 127 was used to create the BC ruffle at the bottom of those cakes.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!! I will do that on the next batch. I will use this batch for other stuff that is going on the cake. Will look for those tip numbers too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%