Hubby Thinks I Should Quit Cakes (Long Sorry)

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 26 May 2009 , 4:06am by CanadianChick

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #61 of 74

You're doing a beautiful job every time. Have fun!! with it!! thumbs_up.gif

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #62 of 74

Oh my gosh! Both cakes WERE chocolate!!! Could be we on to something?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #63 of 74

Probably not. I have been researching cake farts off & on for over 20 years--so far I cannot find a common denominator--there may be one but hot cold room temp oil butter shortening buttercream fondant white chocolate carrot spice lemon scratch mix up down in out you me them--so far every theory I've ever heard of is busted by the next cake fart.

It's air, aka gas wanting to escape.

One way to help avoid this is to puncture each cake layer through the icing clear through to the cake in a unobvious place and leave the hole open like with a hat pin.

cakedesigner59 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #64 of 74

Hey K8, maybe you can get a research grant for cake fart research!!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #65 of 74

LOL from Cake farts to tea caviar.. only you K8 only you!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #66 of 74

If it were just gas wanting to escape, wouldn't it have done it during its' several hours of settling time. I still say, and until I've had an experience with one that proves my theory wrong, that it's oil containing formulas that do it in my case. I'm not saying that it's the case for everyone else...just that it's been an element in each case of cake farts I've had to deal with.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #67 of 74

More often than not my cakes stay at room temp and I have had problems with these. I find I have them more often in the summer months or when my house is too warm.

In my case they never really appeared until the next morning or after I'd moved the cake around several times or even traveled with it. So I think it has something to do with the cakes moving and maybe shifting that the gas try to escape.

I've gotten to where after I crumb coat and let my cake sit that I actually pick the cake and board up off the counter a few inches and drop it down a couple of times. In my mind this pushes out any extra air. Of course it could be all in my head.

I had several do this to me last summer, including a wedding cake. It is enough to make you want to quit, but please don't give up yet. icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #68 of 74

I just found this thread and I agree with everyone here in saying...DONT QUIT!! I checked out your photos and your talent is like WHOA...it's totally the level of decorating I am seeking to achieve. You obviously have a passion for this, it shows through your work.

A cake fart or two is no reason to give up, especially if we can help get k8 the grant for cake fart research...that was hilarious!!

Keep your head up girl...your cakes are the shiznit!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:13pm
post #69 of 74

Thanks so much. I have received lots of different tips on how to deal with the farts. I have two cakes sitting on my dining room table and I'm keeping a close eye on them. I decided to refrigerate one and the other, I just left out. My little experiment! But my experience has been like TexasSugar, I don't notice them until delivery or after I get home and look at the photos. So moving them around (transporting) could very well be one factor. I told my husband, now I'm doubting every cake I ever delivered....I mean, what if they ALL had farts and I just wasn't around long enough to see one? LOL At least they don't smell bad.

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

Hey K8, maybe you can get a research grant for cake fart research!!!

I'm telling yah the way money is being tossed around these days I could probably get some!!!

Dude, they study cow farts--no lie!!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #71 of 74

I'm sorry you've had a bad cake day, it happens. Your work is beautiful don't give up. The icing blowout usually happens when my cakes are coming up to room temp, most cake I make requires refrigerating, so I've seen this a lot. I even explain this to my brides when they are ordering a cake that will be refrigerated. You can usually take a viva paper towel and gently press the bubble out of butter cream or use a needle on fondant. I use to stress over this greatly, now I just look on it as the price of yummy. Good Luck, you are living your dream!

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

If it were just gas wanting to escape, wouldn't it have done it during its' several hours of settling time.

No and obviously not. Cake farts can appear almost anytime the cake is sealed shut with icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I still say, and until I've had an experience with one that proves my theory wrong, that it's oil containing formulas that do it in my case. I'm not saying that it's the case for everyone else...just that it's been an element in each case of cake farts I've had to deal with.

Maybe it's something about oil formulas but butter cakes do it too.

But mine are full of air (gas) not oil. I've never seen one full of oil.
It's air collecting under the icing trying to escape.

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

LOL from Cake farts to tea caviar.. only you K8 only you!

Now wait, did I mention the tea caviar?
You saw it in the Library of the House of Acme?

That was fun to do--I couldn't believe I did it.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #74 of 74

if gas is building up in the cake, it needs an escape outlet. The idea to poke the crusted buttercream with a pin in several places is a good one.

the other idea I've seen that seems to make sense is to ensure that there is a wee gap between the icing and the board - which can easily be covered with your border. That gives the gas somewhere to escape. Once you've iced the cake, run a thin knife or spatula between the cake and board to break the icing seal...

just a thought. I haven't had this happen yet myself, but I haven't made nearly as many cakes as most of you - at least not since I started smoothing buttercream instead of swirling it like my mom did!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%