Turning White Or Butter Cake Into Chocolate

Decorating By Tennybird Updated 9 May 2009 , 2:48pm by gimmeabreak

Tennybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennybird Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 4

I made a chocolate cake with Pillsbury mix (because it was onsale) and also used the extender recipe. But it taste so bad and I refuse to serve a cake that doesn't taste good. I have used the extender recipe with Duncan Hines and Better Crocker and it tasted really good. So my conclusion is that it was the Pillsbury mix. So I need to make a new cake today and with two kids it is impossible to run to the store.

I have a Better Crocker Butter Recipe box and a Duncan Hines White Cake and a whole thing of Hershey's Cocoa powder. Is there a way I can use one of these box mixes with the extender recipe and make it into chocolate cake?

Please help!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 4

Which extender recipe did you use? W/o knowing exactly what use did it's hard to help you figure out what went wrong.
Yes you can use BC butter recipe or DH (I prefer BC); add up to 1 cup of the cocoa powder *plus* a 1/4 tsp of baking soda and it should be good.
If you have it, use melted choco (candy melts) also or in place of the cocoa. It will make a slightly sweeter cake.

Tennybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennybird Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

I used this recipe
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

I ended up using the BC and added about 1/2 cup of coco powder. I had to bake the cake before I got any replies so I didn't add the baking soda. I tried the extra pieces of the cake when I was leveling it and it tasted pretty good. It wasn't that chocolately, but I'm sure the chocolate butter cream will make up for that.

I only bake cakes as a hobby and this is just for family so hopefully they will like it!

Thank you for your help I will have to file away this info for the future!

gimmeabreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmeabreak Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 4

I've notice that when I add cocoa powder the cake are sometimes dry, so I lessen the cooking time or if you have chocolate chips on hand try melting those and adding it to the batter. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%