Avoiding Sagging Fondant

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:17am by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

Ok I have a question regarding sagging fondant.

I've gotten pretty good at beating the bulge. I fill the day before w/ a thick dam, let it settle.. Etc. My big issue though is my fondant sagging. It's like no matter what I do or what brand I use it sags at the bottom border for me. I've used Wilton, satin ice, MFF, MMF, and fondx.I'm sure it's not the fondant and it's me.. So any tips/tricks/recommendations are warmly welcomed icon_smile.gif

6 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 7

It sounds like it has to do with your smoothing and trimming techniques. Make sure when smoothing you are smoothing and adhering all the way down, and when trimming at bottom, if you don't trim it adequately it will cause a sagging look.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Ok I have a question regarding sagging fondant.

I've gotten pretty good at beating the bulge. I fill the day before w/ a thick dam, let it settle.. Etc. My big issue though is my fondant sagging. It's like no matter what I do or what brand I use it sags at the bottom border for me. I've used Wilton, , MFF, MMF, and fondx.I'm sure it's not the fondant and it's me.. So any tips/tricks/recommendations are warmly welcomed icon_smile.gif

Wow !! hard to believe you are having problems with fondant when your cakes look so great.
You are very talented.

Good Luck with the fondant

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 7

Do you mean the fondant seems to be sagging under its own weight, as in it is drooping and pulling downwards, or do you mean the fondant is not adhering to the bottom circumference of the cake?

If your fondant is pulling itself downward, perhaps you are rolling it too thick. If it is pulling away or not adhering to the bottom circumference of the cake, try spritzing the cake, esp. around the bottom, with water before applying fondant so that it will stick.

If your buttercream is just too soft or too thick, or your fondant is rolled too thick, it is possible that the weight of the fondant is causing the buttercream to slide (heh, gravity). I use a normal application of buttercream but it is not a soft consistency.

sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

Sherri--

Thanks for the insight! I think you've really hit the nail on the head (or at least i hope!). I do typically use a normal amount of buttercream, and I believe it may be too soft at times. Now that I think of it.. Last night (where I had a completely DISASTROUS decorating day..) my buttercream was much, much softer than usual.

I think the too soft of buttercream and it not adhering to the bottom are my biggest mistakes. The bottom is wear it bulges a lot. For example, I put little balls around the border last night and this morning the fondant was kinda sitting on top of the balls. Ew it looked horrible. It was for a lady here at work and I'm irked by the site of it every time I walk by her desk icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the help.. I have two cakes to do tonight and I'm going to try to adhere it better and use firmer buttercream icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

I am glad to have helped you figure this out. icon_smile.gif

You wouldn't know from any of your beautiful pictures that you ever have fondant issues though! Your cakes are just gorgeous.

sweet_teeth Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

ayerim979 and cakepro.. thank you SO much for the complements. The last few cakes of mine have been overly stressful and disastrous so it's great to hear something positive!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%