How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #91 of 887

Bakingangel - use a small paint brush, it doesn't take very much, you don't want to get the gelatin too wet or it will disintegrate!

BWB - another GREAT idea......I am just recycling my paychecks for cake stuff!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:45pm
post #92 of 887

OK...I tried the Silpat idea, and the results are mixed. My camera battery is dead, so I'm sorry I can't post pix, but they really aren't needed, so...

First...this is the first time I've tried this so I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, I need to work at it is all I can say! First of all, I didn't get the gelatin thick enough, so my strips are really thin. Surprisingly strong, but way too thin. Also, I have air bubbles in my strips. Not sure if I stirred too much, or what.

But, regarding using the Silpat, I think it's a definite possibility, but the pattern isn't very pronounced at all. It would work great just for a plain ribbon, etc. The gelatin dried and popped right up, just like you said! So, I think I'll give this another try.

BTW, how much gelatin should I use to make a bow the size of the one in your avatar, Loucinda? It seems like it takes a good bit to get enough to make a full-size bow. Gonna give it another try!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #93 of 887

This is just so awesome!! Thanks for sharing! Your bow is amazing!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:08am
post #94 of 887

When you all say impression matts , are these the ones we use for cake decorating?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #95 of 887

You can use those or the ones you find in the art depts or in the clay aisle even. Anything that is flat with a texture on it and is plastic will do nicely. I prefer the clear ones though, they work best.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #96 of 887

BWB ..... I had just ordered about a month ago from the place we are not allowed to say on here, I got the butterflies and flowers that are flat molds but I have never seen the bows done I love these. How much do you all charge for these? Are they like fondant? Lots of questions I know. I like the bigger butterflies from the person selling here. Thanks to everyone for any help given , I love to share knowledge.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:26am
post #97 of 887

So... I just tried a small batch of this, one packet of gelatin only, and after I skimmed off the top and reheated it in the microwave, it wasn't very runny. What should the right consistency be? Should I have warmed it more? As I painted it on to the silpat it was thickening very, very quickly. Is that normal? Or is it because it might have been too thick?

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #98 of 887

OK - for the air bubbles, let it set a while after you have skimmed the foam off. I even let it come to a solid again, and then reheat it gently (5 seconds at time) and stir gently till it is liquid. For some reason, that seems to work for me (making it, letting it turn solid then remelting)

The area of size that the mat I use for the bows is 7.5" x 9.5". I cut the strips short end, and then cut each of those in half. (some I cut in 1/3's for smaller filler bows)

I make a batch of gelatin using 12 tablespoons of water to 4 tablespoons of gelatin. I used about 1/4 of that mix for each mat (for one bow) One batch of this ratio for me makes 4 bows.

You do have to work quickly - as the gelatin will try to solidify as you are painting it on the mat. (I also have reheated it to keep it more liquid as I am painting the mat) I like putting the mat on a white towel so I can see the work that I am doing - helps you keep track of how thick - so you cn see that you are not getting it too thick.

Hope this all makes sense.

justdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdi Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #99 of 887

I think "The Cindy's" have taken care of everyone's questions from what I can see (thanks ladies!!!)

Just wanted to let ya know that we pulled a few strings (aka paid a little rush order fee... icon_cool.gif ), and had DH in helping w/ packaging this eve so I am quite happy to say that....

THE SETS ARE AGAIN IN STOCK!!! thumbs_up.gif

I actually JUST got done updating my site so there's (fingers crossed as I type this...) a shopping cart on there for the gelatin stuff now. The only glitch I ran into is the shipping - apparently paypal doesn't allow anything less than a $5 shipping/handling fee so that is going to be a little more if you pay that way vs. mailing in a check.

http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin.htm

I will try my best to keep up w/ answering your questions... just bear w/ me as my spare time is pretty limited right now while we're trying to get this book finished. Please just pm or email me if I miss your question!

Thanks!
Di icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:15am
post #100 of 887

WOOHOOO!!! I just can't wait till your book is done! I know getting those sets back in stock will make a lot of folks here happy. icon_smile.gif

I am playing again today with my NEW sheets that came Saturday (thank you Diane!!!)

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #101 of 887

So I too just can't wait for the impression mats! I used a new cutting board that had texture, orange peal like, and it worked great. The gelatin popped right off. I then took my sheet of gelatin and used a butterfly scrapbooking punch, and punched out several butterflies in seconds. It worked great. I painted the wings, and when I am ready to use them, I will clip them apart and make them a body. Fun!! I now want to try a dragon fly punch for dragonfly wings!!!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #102 of 887

I remember back in 2000 or 2002 someone at our cake camp taught how to make sheets of gelatin and made a castle out of it (it was amazing). And I know one of our members did a whole bunch of bows, with the decorative scissors and punches, all different shapes and sizes. Amazing how many things you can do with this. I used them in the plastic balls and made domed lids.

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #103 of 887

Wow! cool idea!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #104 of 887

Gotta try these! One book is already sold to this caker!

Waiting and drooling!

mscorliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscorliss Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #105 of 887

This is really neat! Thanks for sharing this with us. They are beautiful!!!!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #106 of 887

I just ordered the complete set, can't wait to get them, thank you so much for sharing with all of us. Don't worry about people thinking you are pushing your products, we are just happy to hear about a new product that we can add to our skills with thank you.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #107 of 887

I wish I could get those mats here in London.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #108 of 887

Ok guys, I had never heard of this technique! How AWESOME! Im getting all excited about it, but unfortunatly the closest grocery store to me is 25 minutes away and the baby is sleeping so Im not going out. lol. I DO however, have some sugar free strawberry gelatin in my pantry. Is that usuable at all? Or do the other ingrediants in it change the texture of it? I really want to try it, like, NOW. lol. If its not usable, why is that? icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #109 of 887

Diane said to use only plain gelatin. I am sure it has something to do with the sugar (or sugar sub.) that is in it. BUT - if you have it - I guess you can't hurt anything if you give it a try!!

I checked out the scrapbook stamps at Michaels tonight - I bought a "curly Q" one to try.....none of the ones I looked at looked big enough to mess with for me. (that had butterflies and such on them)

I am making another one of the textures tonight - can't wait to see how it turns out tomorrow!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #110 of 887

Solascakes - They will ship international orders. Just email her first for shipping costs. Ordered mine last night! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve and can't wait till morning comes!!

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #111 of 887

OK - I learned a valuable lesson about gelatin last night. I went to color and make a new bow, and there in my bowl of gelatin was penecillan growing!! I remember Diane telling us that it would not keep long if it wasn't dried......yep, it won't.

New batch setting on the counter firming up right now. Dang I hate having to wait!!! icon_sad.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #112 of 887

I'm having a hard tim painting on an even layer on the silpat. Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips to get an even layer? Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #113 of 887

Keep the gelatin warmed (I have had to heat mine back up in the microwave for 5 seconds during the process) I really got it by just practicing - by the 3rd time I finally got it right.

I don't think it will ever be "completely" even -there are spots on all of mine where you can see some are "thicker" than the rest - once the bow is made, you really can't see it though.

SharonK1973 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #114 of 887

Thanks Lou... Now I feel better! I have those same spots, but I kept looking at your bow and felt lost because it looks so perfectly uniform! I really appreciate it!

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #115 of 887

Put the silpat over a heating pad set on very lightly warm to help keep the gelatin at a liquid state while painting it on. Then it should all set up at the same rate.

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #116 of 887

OOOOOOHHH - that is a light bulb one there! Thank you BobWonderBuns!! That should work with the impression mats too....now I have to go to Walmart - and hope they don't sell out of heating pads before I get there. icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #117 of 887

icon_lol.gif That's right -- get your list, check it twice! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #118 of 887

BWB - how do we take care of the impression mats, do you have any tips for that? I am concerned about usuing soap on them - will that affect the releasing abilities of the mediums used on them?

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #119 of 887

With mine I just wash them in hot water and towel dry them. I don't use soap on anything plastic (impression mats, chocolate molds, and the like.) I also don't scour them with anything. I find soaking in hot water for a few minutes then rinsing in hot water works like a charm. I also towel dry them immediately so they don't get those annoying spots on them. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #120 of 887

Thanks - I had not used these types of impression mats before, so I wasn't sure. I vaguely remembered you weren't supposed to clean them with soap - thanks for filling me in! I have already bought a nice stiff folder to keep them in too.

I am putting you on my cake buddy hero list too. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%