Okay!!! Finally Feed-Up With Scratch Cakes.

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 13 May 2009 , 4:27pm by STRAWBERRY1390

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #31 of 50

Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone. I have passed the Friday night flop around to my family (they will eat anything) and had to do 3 cakes last night for a church function. I was really on edge hoping they were all right. They turned out great, red velvet, italian cream and decorated pound cake. I feel so much better. So I've gone from telling my husband that I was never doing another cake, to thinking I might need to order some more decorating toys.......... Crazy isn't it? I have a LOVE HATE relationship with cake!!!

Thanks to all and have a wonderful day.

MBHazel

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:05am
post #32 of 50

[quote="MBHazel"]Hi!

Cathy 24 most of your tips ar ones I use, however, tell me about tenting the cake. How do you check the cake when it is hidden? Also, when do you remove.

![/quote]

i did this for the first last time last weekend when i checked my oven temp and it had risen (by itself) so i was worried the tops of the cakes would have dried out and i wouldnt get a good rise on my 10 inch so i just set foil on top and folded it loosely round the sides of the tin. it worked great, no hard orange crust and it rose so much better so i do this all the time now and its great for all types of cake.

to check the cakes i just lift the foil up a little and see if they are ok, also you can take them out of the oven and turn them and just replace the foil as its only loosely set over. i remove the foil when the cakes come out of the oven.

hope this helps!!

MBHazel Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #33 of 50

Thanks Cathy!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #34 of 50

Narie and Hbhazel, thanks for the info on the precut parchment circles. I am going to look into it.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #35 of 50

I ONLY use doctored cake mixes...given up on scratch cakes looong ago. The doctored cake mixes give me more consistency...every cake perfect!! Also I have the cake mix doctor book, and to be honest...I prefer the gourmet cake flavor thread here on cc...the cake mix doctor is pretty blah to me...baking from scratch is EXACTLY THAT MBHazel...science. Even with culinary training in Pastry Arts...I steer clear from the science of scratch baking.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #36 of 50

Since you mention the Cake Bible, are you weighing the ingredients? I know the author says although she gives substitutions, weighing is always more accurate....just a thought.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I too bake from scratch only. You just need to have a few reliable recipes and good technique. The cake bible is a good book but not the gospel, do what has worked for you all these years!

It is a source of pride that my cakes are homemade and I get comments ALL the time about how most and tasty my cakes are. I grew up on cake mix but I can tell one usually by the smell and I don't care how you doctor it.
In fairness I did try a doctored mix once for a class, it still smelled like a mix when baking and you can definitely tell the taste too, adding stuff doesn't take away from what is in there.

Again, many folks can't tell and don't care but I would rather work hard to make mine the best scratch it can be. Even my DH (big guy, likes to eat) has complained that I have ruined him for the potlucks at work, he doesn't want the cake anymore.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Here, Here!!

I too prefer scratch cake over mixes, in all fairness I also grew up on good ol Dunkin Hines and prefer it if a mix is necessary....(which for me rarely is) I also use the Cake Bible as a source ( you have to love good 'ol Rose) And then only problems i come across is my unreliable oven...which just means i have to keep a better eye on my cake...And i dont use a heating core on anything less than 14 inches...( unless your collaring your pans or your pans at 3" or more deep)...I dont think its necessary if your letting your oven preheat for at least 30 minutes and 45 if its unreliable.

Use, Use and I stress Use an oven thermometer.

pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #38 of 50

While we scratch bakers seem to be in the minority, and I not inclined to switch to mixes, I decided to try the WASC cake that everyone raves about that uses a doctored mix. I have also read here on cc that people say it is less expensive than baking from scratch. Well I just got back from the supermarket to get the mix and sour cream. Less expensive, NO WAY. The DH cakes mixes alone were $1.69 each, (BC was more money,), not including the sour cream, the eggs, flour, sugar and everything else this recipe calls for. Unless this cake blows me away (and that is doubtful as I am a big person), I will stick to scratch, and the occasional do over.

MBHazel Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #39 of 50

Patty please tell how it turns out!

Strawberry: Gee I use a heat core from 8" up, how do you manage getting away with that? Is your temp cut way down???

Jamie: No I have not been weighing , still measuring. Except for the eggs, (I forgot that earlier) My basic recipe calls for 5 large eggs. For years I have been using Jumbo. So I did back off on the eggs. Thinking I would make the cake BETER. I was soooooo wrong.

Bakermom: I have to look at the thread, haven't seen it before.

pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #40 of 50

MBHazel, it is in the oven now but I can smell the chemical smell as it bakes. We shall see.

MBHazel Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #41 of 50

icon_biggrin.gif Cute Patty.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Patty please tell how it turns out!

Strawberry: Gee I use a heat core from 8" up, how do you manage getting away with that? Is your temp cut way down???

To be frank MB I honestly don't know. I bake at 325 and I use 2" pans and I dont use a doctored mix. Maybe the cake fairies have smiled upon me up til now lets hope I haven't angered any and continue to have luck...lol.

But if my luck changes I know I will have CC and all you wonderful cakers to cry to and to figure out how to fix the impending disaster.

Happy caking,

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #43 of 50

As much as everyone brags about success with boxed mixes, I'm not having luck. Just this week I checked two books out at the libray: One is The Cake Mix Doctor, and the other is a scratch cookbook called Great Cakes.

Both have really yummy looking recipes and I'll try one of the scratch cakes this weekend from Great Cakes. It's a pretty big book with many recipes for cakes, fillings, and icings with variations for many flavors.

I know many people love the Cake Bible, but I made the basic yellow cake last week and it looked beautiful but was so dry we couldn't eat it. I posted this info on Rose Levy Barenbaum's forum and from the responses I should have weighed the ingredients instead of measuring them by volume. I'll also try her sour cream yellow cake recipe soon as I think it will be more moist.

If anyone finds that perfect scratch yellow or white recipe, please share!

Cindy

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #44 of 50

You need to make the Mermaid Bakery Yellow/ Vanilla Cake.
I have read that people have issues with it, but I can't complain. I made it as it is written. Cameout beautiful and rose nicely. It is a tad bit dense - but trust me it is more fluffy. I really like that cake. I ate it with and without filling/ icing and both were yummy. It will be my go to yellow cake from now.
Try it

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #45 of 50

If you measure your cake ingredients by weight you will have more accurate results. In the baking trade, they don't use cups and measures, it is by weight. There can be variations in the flour density, etc.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:29pm
post #46 of 50

I personally love scratch cakes myself and can taste the artificial packet mixes a mile off. I would also prefer my children to eat wholesome natural ingredients instead of additives and preservatives.

It was a big surprise for me when I started work in a leading bakery to discover they too use packet mixes. Just huge bags of the stuff!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

I ONLY use doctored cake mixes...given up on scratch cakes looong ago. The doctored cake mixes give me more consistency...every cake perfect!! Also I have the cake mix doctor book, and to be honest...I prefer the gourmet cake flavor thread here on cc...the cake mix doctor is pretty blah to me...baking from scratch is EXACTLY THAT MBHazel...science. Even with culinary training in Pastry Arts...I steer clear from the science of scratch baking.

I only scratch bake, and I too use the gourmet cake flavor thread... i have my base white cake that I add things to to make the different flavors, just like they use a box mix as their base i use my scratch base.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:10am
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

I would also prefer my children to eat wholesome natural ingredients instead of additives and preservatives.

Most brands of white flour have additives and the life of the wheat, the germ, has been removed. Vanilla often has additives. Packaging of a lot of our food products have preservatives on them. Eggs have been washed. Most of our foods are processed and highly refined.

Duncan Hines white cake mix has no preservatives in the mix.

MBHazel Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #49 of 50

Hi Strawberry,

That is the difference I think, You use 2" pans and I use 3" pans and always use a core from 8" up.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Hi Strawberry,

That is the difference I think, You use 2" pans and I use 3" pans and always use a core from 8" up.

Thanks for letting me know you use 3" pans that way when I start using them (soon) I know i will need a heating core.

Happy caking,
Stacy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%