Heavy Metal Theme?

Decorating By TaylSpin Updated 7 May 2009 , 5:20pm by sweetartbakery

TaylSpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylSpin Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm making a birthday cake for someone who wants a "heavy metal" theme. I've done a quick search online and found skulls, flames, and "the sign of the horns", but I can't think of anything else. Any ideas? I can use buttercream, fondant, and gumpaste. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:58am
post #2 of 6
pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

I've kept this photo in my favorites for a long time... I LOVE the flame look on the chocolate-dipped strawberries!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215216

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 6

How about (if you use fondant) make the fondant base out of "steel plates"? Odd shaped steel gray squares of fondant then use a med writing tip to make "rivets". I did the Metallica "M" this way, painted it w/ vodka in darker gray color. Came out really cool. Photo on my web site, not here. Gave it an industrial look.

Did you ever see Duff's devil horns cake? Sculpt a hand in the horn psotion out of RKT and cover w/ fondant. A cc'r posted a lsimilar cake a week or so ago, thought I saved to favs but didn't.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 6

Found it, chekc this out by twistedsplinters
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1352562.html

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 6

Hm, my husband is a heavy metal kind of guy himself.. He suggests band stuff. Maybe a few of the lyrics to a cool song on my "metal" or something the looks rough like burnt paper. Depending on the bands he likes, you could sculpt the creature from the album cover (metal bands always have creatures on their albums!). Or maybe some tickets to a concert made of fondant... If you give me the bands my husband is sure to know of the corresponding coolness that goes with it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%