Drying Gumpaste

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 3 May 2009 , 2:09am by Elise87

Elise87 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 5

this might be a silly old question but if i dusted fairly well both sides of a thin white gumpaste sheet in cornstarch/cornflour will that in anyway help it dry faster? icon_confused.gif

I'm not really sure if this has got any logic to it or not. I was just thinking that cornstarch absorbs moisture so maybe it would help, but not sure. Let me know what u think...thanks

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #2 of 5

id think it wouldnt hurt... also, drying it on both sides helps, lying it on foam means air can get in to the underside too.
xx

sweetcravings Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

Just curious are you using Bakel's gumpaste? If so, I'm sorry to tell you that it may never dry.

I don't think the cornstarch idea is a bad one. I've heard if you put the piece in the oven, heat off, just the light bulb on, door open..it may help it dry faster. OR>.i've read if you have a dehydrator,you can use that with no heat..I've not tried either, but it's just some stuff i've read here on CC. HTH

StaceyCakes75 Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious are you using Bakel's gumpaste? If so, I'm sorry to tell you that it may never dry

Thank you for that info. I bought some Bakel's gum paste a while back and let it dry for 3 days and I was so frustrated! So I'm not crazy.
Thank you thank you thank you icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 5

No, not using bakels gumpaste, not sure what that is because i live in Australia. For the mean time i just buy mine from a cake decorating supply shop nearest me, it is a little soft to start with but it dries well after half a day and overnight, just not fast enough for me but i am impatient for things to dry icon_lol.gif

I know gumpaste takes time but yeh anything to help the process along is good with me, just wanted to see if there was any logic to what i was thinking lol Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%