Drying Gumpaste

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 3 May 2009 , 2:09am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 5

this might be a silly old question but if i dusted fairly well both sides of a thin white gumpaste sheet in cornstarch/cornflour will that in anyway help it dry faster? icon_confused.gif

I'm not really sure if this has got any logic to it or not. I was just thinking that cornstarch absorbs moisture so maybe it would help, but not sure. Let me know what u think...thanks

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #2 of 5

id think it wouldnt hurt... also, drying it on both sides helps, lying it on foam means air can get in to the underside too.
xx

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

Just curious are you using Bakel's gumpaste? If so, I'm sorry to tell you that it may never dry.

I don't think the cornstarch idea is a bad one. I've heard if you put the piece in the oven, heat off, just the light bulb on, door open..it may help it dry faster. OR>.i've read if you have a dehydrator,you can use that with no heat..I've not tried either, but it's just some stuff i've read here on CC. HTH

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious are you using Bakel's gumpaste? If so, I'm sorry to tell you that it may never dry

Thank you for that info. I bought some Bakel's gum paste a while back and let it dry for 3 days and I was so frustrated! So I'm not crazy.
Thank you thank you thank you icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 5

No, not using bakels gumpaste, not sure what that is because i live in Australia. For the mean time i just buy mine from a cake decorating supply shop nearest me, it is a little soft to start with but it dries well after half a day and overnight, just not fast enough for me but i am impatient for things to dry icon_lol.gif

I know gumpaste takes time but yeh anything to help the process along is good with me, just wanted to see if there was any logic to what i was thinking lol Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%