Pricing Help Please . . .

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm by sheilabelle

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:38am
post #1 of 9

I was asked to make a grad cake for in June. They want a 12 x 18 cake to look like a football field. This will be covered in fondant with fondant details. On top of this they want a cake carved to resemble a helmet. The helmet will be covered in fondant. Half in HS colors and half in college colors with logos from both. Gumpaste face guard. The helmet that I rec. inst. for was made of 2 - 8" rounds, 1 - 10" round, and a partial wondermold. What would you figure for servings? I figured the 12 x 18 to serve about 50 and the helmet to serve about 35 (after carving). Does this sound right? What would YOU charge?

This an attachment of the helmet inst. from mixinvixen.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601659-football.html+helmet

8 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 9

I'd say at least $300...that's the lowest I'd go.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 9

Pricing is always a touchy issue, in my area I would probably charge 175 - 200, but I don't get many request for fondant.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 9

I noticed your in Texas, Im down south...towards Houston...I know I priced fondant cakes out this way...and they start more expensive than b/c....

they start at like 4.00 to 6.00 a slice!!! Depending on who you get it from. I would price in your area, you dont want to undercut yourself. Its alot of work and detail. So call around and get a general price.

let us know!!!

alsadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alsadi Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 9

You need to think of your time first, and I'm not sure where you're from but I would'nt go any lower than $150.00. The helmet alone will take some time. Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 9

my fondant price is $4.50/serving PLUS all the extra's you're doing.

$300 MINIMUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheilabelle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 9

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your responses. I thinking around $170.00. We live a very rural area (thumb of Michigan). Fondant is not common around here. I'm kind of hoping to use it as some advertising as well. You know, people see it and want a cake. Most decorators in the area charge $1.00 to $1.50 per slice for buttercream. I figure on charging about $2.00 per slice. This is HARD! ARGHHHHHH!

Sheila

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 9

Do the other decorators do fondant, gumpaste or carving?

sheilabelle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 9

I don't know of anyone in or around my area that does fondnat, carving, or sculpting. They do the very traditional buttercream. My friend bases her prices on how many cake mixes she uses (she figures $15.00 / cake mix). She has been doing cakes for about 30 years and does the basic buttercream with buttercream roses. I need to develop a stiffer spine. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%