Hdi Clean My Brushes Of Petal Dust???

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm by JenniferMI

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 17

I was wondering how you all clean your brushes after you are done using them for your gumpaste. I have just a few really nice brushes that i like to use and yesterday used one of them to highlight a dark color on my gumpaste flowers. Now the brush tip is all dark purple..was white to begin with. To make matters worse, i thought i had gotten all of the old color out and went to use it on a white flower with a lighter color and it totally ruined my flower. The old color must've been still somewhere in the bristles. Do you have separate brushes for each color? How do you get the 'last' color out?

Suzanne

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 17

I wash them icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 17

Put corn starch on a cloth and rub your brush in it. It cleans it like a charm every time. Jennifer Dontz taught me that trick in one of her classes.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 17

That is a great tip! Thanks for sharing. Should the brush be wet (rinsed first) when you put it in the corn starch or dry?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 17

No, don't put a wet brush in cornstarch. Jen taught me the same trick...just pour a teaspoon or so of cornstarch on a paper towel and load up your dry brush with cornstarch...tap it all out on the paper towel and do it again until the color no longer stains the cornstarch.

Best. Trick. Ever!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 17

Great tip Cake Pro...i'm gonna give it a try. I tried washing it with soapy water but the stain still remains. Can't wait to try it. Thanks ;0)

Suz

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 17

Glad I took a peek at this one...I will be doing my first gumpaste flowers next week.

Mamacitadedos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamacitadedos Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 17

I'm with Hensor, I'll be doing my first gumpaste flowers with color this weekend. Glad I looked at this post. Thanks for asking Sweetcravings. thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Great tip Cake Pro...i'm gonna give it a try. I tried washing it with soapy water but the stain still remains. Can't wait to try it. Thanks ;0)

Suz

What often happens (especially when using brushes for painting details with food color) is that when the brush gets wet, the color travels up the bristles into the ferrule of the brush. What that happens, you have to use brush cleaner and go through a cycle of wash-then-wiggle-the-bristles-under-running-water until the color clears (I do One Stroke painting too icon_biggrin.gif).

It's so much easier cleaning the brushes with dry cornstarch. Jen Dontz has saved me much time and trouble by teaching me that trick. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 17

Yup, the cornstarch trick is the BOMB!!! If you want to wash your brushes... you can also put the damp brush into the cornstarch and it will dry it quickly.... but usually I just put some cornstarch in a cup and swirl the brush in it. You can keep reusing it....

My students were listening well! A+++ girls!!! icon_lol.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you so much for this info. I have had a terrible time of trying to clean them and then color getting transfered......ugh! So frustrating.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 17

The cornstarch is pure MAGIC!!

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - Always test your brush on a white pc. of paper towel to make sure you got it all out.

If you want to tone down a color of petal dust, you can add a tiny bit of cornstarch to it and that will do the trick.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 17

Jennifer, does this work on pearl dust as well as petal dust?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 17

Geez Jen, you never taught me that trick before!! icon_rolleyes.gif You're slacking girl!! icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 17

It should work on luster/pearl...

Hey, BWB.... you have never taken a class from me icon_smile.gif You're missing out on all these little "magic tips" LOL

Jen icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 17

I'll give it shot next time I use pearl/luster dust. I wish I could take a class from you. Do you have any plans to come to the Omaha area?

JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 17

Hey tiggy2!

No plans now...but I'll be in Kansas City in the fall.

Is that anywhere near you?

You always could host a class??? EASY!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%