70's Cake

Decorating By KawaiiCakeCook Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm by grannys3angels

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:53am
post #1 of 16

A customer came and asked for 70's themed cake and I just blanked. Please any ideas would be welcomed!

15 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 7:54am
post #2 of 16

First thing i think of is 'That 70's show' lol Now lets see..... can go basic like bright colours, flowers, disco or could go lava lamps or you could look up the art styles of the 70's which i don't know off the top of my, but they might give u some ideas. HTH icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 16

Oh this could be really fun! I see big funky daisies like on the dating game and maybe some smiley faces. I don't know what the ocassion is though. OOOOHHH and here is a thought, you know how Mary made the cake glow in the dark on last cake standing?? Well, you could outline the daisies so that when the lights went down the cake would glow! I know my older sister had those phsychodelic posters in her room that glowed in the dark. Just a thought.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 16

Atari, bell bottoms, polyester shirts with bright patterns, Afro hair, platform shoes, Dungeons and Dragons......

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 16

Ask Indydebi, she's the QUEEN of the 70s cake ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 16

To me, peace signs, daisies and bright colors are 60s, not 70s. The 70s were more about disco, mirror balls, platform shoes, polyester shirts, gold chains, feathered hair, tube tops, rabbit fur coats....

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 16

Hi, I made this Disc last year, it works as a 70s cake. This one was inspired by another cake I saw here on CC.
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 16

Disco was only about 2 years of the 70's and it was the last two years.

I was 16 years old in 1975. Elephant leg blue jeans (that's BIG bell bottom jeans to you younguns!), hip huggers worn with body shirts, big floppy hats (I had a blue jean floppy hat with a BIG Micky Mouse Club Button on the front!), army jackets. CP jackets (ask your mom .... she'll know). Platform sandals, earthshoes (for the tree huggers). Earth Day came around back then (we all walked to school one day a year), Smiley faces, lava lamps, black light posters of hard rockers (we actually wanted to paint our bedrooms black and hang our posters but mom and dad said no way.) Hair was parted in the middle and long and straight. Marcia Brady showed us how to pin our long "bangs" around the sides of our head and use a barrette to hold it in place in back. Rubik's cube. Atari. PONG!!! (luv pong!)

Elton John did "Philadelphia Freedom" in 1975. The song "making love in my chevy van (and that's all right with me)" was big. Pink Floyd, KISS, Aerosmith. Some band called Rush made a blip (one guy in our crowd like that band and we made fun of him because he did). The Eagles won Best New Group in 1975. We listened to our stereos with BIG headphones. Oh!! The customized van came into vogue! Vans became rolling bedrooms with fabulous paint jobs on the side! Beads hanging in your doorway (Yep! Had those too!)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Disco began in 1973 here and went strong until 1980 when punk and new wave began to take over. I was also 16 in 1975 and most of those things Indydebi mentions are alien to me icon_confused.gif I guess it depends on where you lived and who you ran with. Just goes to show that it would probably be a good idea to ask the client what they think of when they say 70s.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 16

Oh I don't know, I remember most of what Indydebi said (including the part about wanting to paint my room black and mom putting the kabosh on that!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif Seems to me that was pop culture at the time. icon_biggrin.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:18am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Oh this could be really fun! I see big funky daisies like on the dating game and maybe some smiley faces. I don't know what the ocassion is though. OOOOHHH and here is a thought, you know how Mary made the cake glow in the dark on last cake standing?? Well, you could outline the daisies so that when the lights went down the cake would glow! I know my older sister had those phsychodelic posters in her room that glowed in the dark. Just a thought.

how exactly does one make a cake glow? Outside of radioactivity that is?

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:21am
post #13 of 16
Quote:

aww...its sweet you think i'm talented enough to try and pull these off. Cause about ten minutes into I would look like this icon_cry.gif These are brillant cakes, and I love every one of them, and will probably steal some ideas from them but at a much much much lower level. icon_biggrin.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:22am
post #14 of 16

my father graduated college in 1978

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:39am
post #15 of 16

Leisure suits.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I was 16 years old in 1975. Elephant leg blue jeans (that's BIG bell bottom jeans to you younguns!), hip huggers worn with body shirts, big floppy hats (I had a blue jean floppy hat with a BIG Micky Mouse Club Button on the front!), army jackets. CP jackets (ask your mom .... she'll know). Platform sandals, earthshoes (for the tree huggers). Earth Day came around back then (we all walked to school one day a year), Smiley faces, lava lamps, black light posters of hard rockers (we actually wanted to paint our bedrooms black and hang our posters but mom and dad said no way.) Hair was parted in the middle and long and straight. Marcia Brady showed us how to pin our long "bangs" around the sides of our head and use a barrette to hold it in place in back. Rubik's cube. Atari. PONG!!! (luv pong!)

Elton John did "Philadelphia Freedom" in 1975. The song "making love in my chevy van (and that's all right with me)" was big. Pink Floyd, KISS, Aerosmith. Some band called Rush made a blip (one guy in our crowd like that band and we made fun of him because he did). The Eagles won Best New Group in 1975. We listened to our stereos with BIG headphones. Oh!! The customized van came into vogue! Vans became rolling bedrooms with fabulous paint jobs on the side! Beads hanging in your doorway (Yep! Had those too!)

Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyy goodddnessss Debi, what a walk back into time!!! I LOVE and miss my hip hugging Elephant leg blue jeans icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif , that I would wear with my powder blue bodysuit icon_lol.gif Miss my earth shoes icon_cry.gif (but I wasn't a tree hugger) and we had the best platform and flat sandals then. Not only were there the vans (some of those were just so mind blowing with the paint jobs they had), but there was also jacked up old cars with huge big tires on the rear.

IMHO, those were the 70's, I don't look at Disco being the 70's, so you may need to ask them what part/time of the 70's they want. American Pie (the song) was a huge hit. Fleetwood Mac was also big at that time. We did dances like the "Break Down", "The Old Man". We worn things like ponchos, bright colors, stripes on stripes, 45 records, 8 track tapes, bean bag chairs, mood rings, Maxie and Mini Dresses were also a big thing.

American Bandstand, Soul Train, big sunglasses, pinball was big, short shorts or hot pants. We also had what was call mushroom lamps, halter and tube tops were big, roller skating and 10 speed bikes were also a big thing then. This is just a few things that might help you come up with an idea, hope they can help. Debi also gave great info from that era.

God Bless,
Sharon
Thanks Debi for my walk back in time with your information, those I have to say were the best times for me as a teenager.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%