Black Buttercream

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm by something_sweet

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

I know for dark frosting you need to make it ahead of time because it will get darker, but should I start with chocolate buttercream? Will I be able to get it black?

6 replies
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 7

I always make chocolate first and then add the black color. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I'm not working on the cake for a couple days but wanted to give it time to darken icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #4 of 7

If you use Americolors Super Black, you just add it to dark chocolate buttercream and it will be black in a few minutes. Americolors is wonderful for quickly achieving dark colors without a nasty bitter taste. thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 7

You can also mix together some leftover colors from other projects. You'll get a yucky green color. Then you won't have to add all that much black. I've done this a few times myself. It is also a good way to use up leftover colors.

Another CCer uses Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge frosting for black.

Artisticweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artisticweddings Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 7

The very vest thing I have ever found is the Ateco professional gel paste in a big plastic jar. You have to have a business account to get it. One Jar lasts over a year. It colors over everything!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 7

I actually buy my black icing from Sam's club. It is the only way I have been able to have true black. I think I pay about $10 for a gallon bucket.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%