Who Watched Buddy Valastro??

Lounge By JGMB Updated 23 May 2009 , 8:24am by StarbucksAddict

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 43

I really enjoyed his new show last night. You have to love his attitude and the relationships with his family members who work with him in the bakery. I also liked seeing everything they were baking -- pastries, cupcakes, etc.

What I really loved, though, is that he made a beautiful, intricately piped cake!!!! You rarely see that on Food Network shows -- they're usually more into gumpaste flowers, fondant figures, etc. I appreciate all of those things but, IMHO, nothing beats a cake with gorgeous piping!!!

42 replies
beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 43

Watched it, loved it! Loved seeing the beautiful cakes being created..the craziness if what goes on in his bakery..the wacky but instantly likeable family members.

My new favorite show!!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 43

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I LOVED the show. Its more of the real world of the bakery. I loved everything about the show EXCEPT its ONLY 30 minutes!!! They so should have given him an hour!
His cakes for brides mag were amazing, he's got some incredible talent. Watching his show made me want to focus on some of those dummy cakes I've had sitting around for a while. lol. Can't wait to watch it again on Sunday!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

...gumpaste flowers, fondant figures, etc. I appreciate all of those things but, IMHO, nothing beats a cake with gorgeous piping!!!

I agree!
And one of my favorite lines - "How can I do two more-I CAN'T...but I can't say no!". icon_biggrin.gif

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 43

I enjoyed it! It was great to see how real and down to earth he was along with his family. It was nice to see that they go through the same trials as the rest of us. I thought my husband and I were the only ones to have heated discussions at our shop. icon_lol.gif Buddy's cakes for Bride Magazine were gorgeous and inspirational. After watching the show, I'm ready to get started on some new show cakes. Looking foward to watching again next week. thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 43

It was like a breath of fresh air! I love Buddy and always feel like he's gotten the short end of the stick on Food Network Challenges... I was sooo thrilled that he finally won the Wedding Challenge with his garden cake. My mom is from NY so I spent my childhood going "home" to her neck of the woods and Buddy's Bakery reminds me of those wonderful years. You gotta love the passion Italians put into everyday living!!! It reminds me of a button I keep on my bulletin board that reads: I YELL BECAUSE I CARE!

Way to go, Buddy! Loved your show, love your big loud family, love your style!

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 43

I always thought he got the short stick as well! I think he is great. I love his attitude and his family. They remind me of my family. If we're quiet when we get together, than something is gravely wrong. It's not family unless someone is yelling, laughing, or poking fun at someone. When he spoke about his father it brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure his father would be VERY proud of Buddy and his wonderful family. I can't wait to see the next episode.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 43

What is the name of the show? When does it air?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 43

Name of Show is "Cake Boss", airs on TLC on Sunday's at 10:00 PM -eastern.

(and FINALLY something on TLC besides Jon and Kate +8!!!)

edited to add it is not related to the CakeBoss software...

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 43

I loved it. I too wish it were on for an hour.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 43

Southaustingirl - I just saw his posting on Facebook and if anyone missed his show last Sunday it is airing again tonight on TLC at 9:30. Cake Boss is the name of the show.

I missed half of it last Sunday so I am psyched it is on tonight.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 43

I'm in love with the show--Buddy & bakery hit it out of the freakin' park! And the bakery is so pretty!
I love the outside and the inside is so inviting.

I love the loveable (bite me) sister who can lob direct hits. <Incoming!!!>
I love the drama-boy bro-in-law with the 'nothing in the oven issue 'cause no sugar.
The other drama-boy who thows the sugar on the table bursting the bags.
Grace, love her (my daughter's name is Grace and she has that let's work together, smooth things over quality.)

Anyhow--I really really really like the show.

And yes those three cakes were just stunners. Just breathtaking work.

Loved. It.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 43

Oh it was great. I loved the dynamic of the family and thought the cakes were fabulous. My hubby, who has never decorated a cake, was watching this with me and wouldn't shut up about the stringwork being uneven so I had to change it. Jeez, I hate to think what my hubby says about my cakes!!! Thank God for TiVo!

Did you notice how busy that bakery is? It was amazing! I read on the tlc website some facts about the bakery. I believe the bakery is open 7 days a week and is only closed on New Year's Day and Memorial Day, with Christmas Eve being the busiest day of the year. Did you see all the offerings? It is amazing! I would love to go to that bakery!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 43

I thought I was busy making a few cakes here and there...PHEW!!! I couldn't imagine having that much to bake in one day. Even if you do have the entire Italian mafia working for you. I am Italian too and love the accent, lingo and relationship so evident on the show. It's great and I could only pray to be that busy in my bakery one day

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 43

i liked it alot, but it almost seemed like the antithesis of duff's staff who are always laughing and joking and having fun.

buddy's family reminds me of my own, typical italian family yelling all the time. frankly, i thought there was too much yelling, considering that this is a tv show they could have toned it down a little for entertainment sake.

but it did seem very hectic there, i cant blame them for yelling, especially when they ran out of sugar. i cant believe they accomplished as much as they did that week, i would be tearing my hair out (and yes, probably yelling too!).

the show cured me of ever wanting to have my own bakery business! i'm not willing to work day and night in a kitchen. i decorate cakes for fun, as a hobby, and it would lose its appeal if i were under that sort of pressure every day. but you have to hand it to him, he does a beautiful job. those wedding cakes for the magazine were fabulous!

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 43

I loved the show! I wished it was an hour long! icon_biggrin.gif

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #17 of 43

I missed it! icon_cry.gif I was looking for it on the Food Network Channel and wondered what happened that it wasn't own. icon_redface.gif At least next week I'll know what channel to look at.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 43

It won't be on next week that was just the pilot episode, it doesn't start airing weekly until May.

Weird thing happened...........My DVR showed that it was a 60 min episode and taped from 10pm to 11pm, but 30 minutes in that annoying John and Kate plus 8 show came on. Did that happen to anyone else? icon_confused.gif

Anywho.............LOVED it! Everything about it, the family, the bakery, the drama...........everything.

Buddy's family reminds me of my family. We're not Italian, we're Portuguese........there are a lot of us and when we get together there is NO peace.

When my son brought his new girlfriend to our house on Christmas Eve(50 plus relatives here for dinner) he gave her *THE* warning..........he asked her if she'd ever seen *My Big Fat Greek Wedding*.......then he told her it's like that times 2! icon_biggrin.gif

The poor girl was shocked and a little scared I think, but hey, we're harmless.

I think we're just *passionate*, that's how I like to describe all of us, and I'd say the same about the Valastros.

I'm very happy that they showed the *real* family and not some *everybody's happy all the time* fake family.

I predict this will be the new favorite cake show for me.

Congratulations Buddy!
Deb icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #19 of 43

is it on again tonight? the dates stamps on these posts are wrong for me....

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 43

I loved it!!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 43

I loved it too, reminds me of my family, but without the artistic talent

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #22 of 43

I checked the menu on my tv and it says "I didnt know I was pregnant" the entire night.................so who said it was on tonight? Where did you get that info? I am wanting to see it and have not yet...grrr

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #23 of 43

I loved it. I feel like sending him an email saying thank you for showing what it is REALLY like running a big time bakery operation every day. Since Duff only does specialty cakes, it is a completely different pace than a retail operation that is open everyday like ours. I can't even tell you the number of times I have had moments with my husband..." I've got $50 an hour in labor standing around waiting for that @#$%^&*( IGF order. "

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #24 of 43

i taped it on my dvr too, and i thought it was an hour. then when i watched it and it was over in 30 min, jon and kate came on. we have time warner cable, maybe it was messed up.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I checked the menu on my tv and it says "I didnt know I was pregnant" the entire night.................so who said it was on tonight? Where did you get that info? I am wanting to see it and have not yet...grrr

Madgeowens- I get the same thing on my Directv guide when scrolling through this evening's lineup. However, I went tomorrow night's lineup (because all the CC postings are reading that they are on Wednesday - weird) and the guide is completely blank on TLC from 9 to 10 pm, but everything else around it has show titles and info listed.

Not really much help to you...just letting you know I'm having the same problem.

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #26 of 43

I actually DID emal, saying how much I liked the show, and got a really nice thank you back!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #27 of 43

Here's a link to the show on the TLC site. According to this it won't be shown again until 05/06/09.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.1213.56088.37799.x

I checked my guide on my cable and it doesn't show up again for the next 10 days, I can't go ahead any further then that.

I have Comcast cable.

For everyone who's date/day is not showing up correctly, try logging off and then log on again. That happened to me but was fixed when I logged off/on again.

beenzee what e-mail address did you use, was it the one from Buddy's site?
I'd like to send him an e-mail too!

Thanks,
Deb icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

I loved it. I feel like sending him an email saying thank you for showing what it is REALLY like running a big time bakery operation every day. Since Duff only does specialty cakes, it is a completely different pace than a retail operation that is open everyday like ours. I can't even tell you the number of times I have had moments with my husband..." I've got $50 an hour in labor standing around waiting for that @#$%^&*( IGF order. "

Snarks buddy--you da bomb, da bombshabomb.

(((big hug)))

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #29 of 43

I was also told that if you go into your forum information which I did) and check the time zone you are in, it may need to be changed. The zones are confusing, but once you get it right your time stamp will be right.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #30 of 43

I thought that show was the bomb! I enjoyed it sooooo much more than Duff's show. I wish it was an hour long as well.
Does anyone have a link to his bakery's website?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%