How Do I Use White Pearl Dust

Decorating By JenLGAJ Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm by brincess_b

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:44am
post #1 of 6

I bought some White Pearl Dust (wilton) to try out some neat effects... now I'm not sure what to do with it!
Can I only use it on white? I know its says to brush on dry or paint on mixed with vodka.
Any tips on how to use it, neat ideas... I'm curious about what kind of effects I can get on different colours, etc...
So far I tried it on black fondant and got a silvery accent, not what I wanted but good to know for later.

TIA!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 6

Wilton's dusts are very, very light icon_sad.gif They don't give much effect at all. You are just going to have to play with it to see what you can do with it. I think you are going to fine that silvery accent is all you get on any/all colors.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 6

My advice is to go very easy. Once you have to much silver or white on you cannot take it off so tap your brush on the pot so any excess falls off before you go onto your surface. You can also blend a bit of it with plain petal dust to create shimmery versions of your other colors. Most of all HAVE FUN!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with kakeladi. Not really a "fan" of the Wilton dusts. But, I have used another brand white pearl dust on COOKIES and that makes a really nice effect.

Beth in KY

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

I use the wilton pearl dusts on my seashells (see pics) I used the yellow, copper and orchid pink. Worked great. If you really want a pearl effect you need to get super pearl dust. I have mixed my wilton white pearl with vodka and painted my white gumpaste pieces with it and it kinda looks porcelin. My calla lilly on my pics was done that way and tipped with gold.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

pearl colours dont really colour, they just add a coloured pearlised shine. usually you get a stronger result if you paint it on with vodka.
dusts are great for all sorts of things, good for shading, adding a bit more life to things, giving it a nice shimmer, you jus tneed to play to learn i think.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%