Best Tip To Use For Flames?

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 7:08am by xstitcher

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone suggest the best tip to use for making flames out of buttercream on cupcakes? I am going to try using 2 different colors of icing inside my icing bag to achieve the flame look in the frosting, then I will be placing a chocolate Star Wars logo on each cupcake.

I have read on here that the best way to get the 2 color effect is to separate the colors in saran wrap inside the bag, so that is what I am going to try.

Thanks for any help!

10 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 11

Well, I'm sorry I don't know about what tips to use, but, I did make flames recently on the sides of a cake just using a pointy tipped spatula. First I dipped the tip of the spatula in one color icing (red or yellow) and pulled it in an upward motion. Then I did the other color. They mixed in spots, creating orange, and it looked pretty good.

Hopefully someone will have the correct answer for you about the tips.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 11

I just used a star tip with mine.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 11

Messy Baker:

I looked at your photos and really like the Darth Vader cake you made. This order also has a cake with it and I may just use your idea if that's O.K. How did you do the Darth Vader?

lardbutt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Messy Baker:

I looked at your photos and really like the Darth Vader cake you made. This order also has a cake with it and I may just use your idea if that's O.K. How did you do the Darth Vader?

The darth vader is just a royal icing transfer. I used a coloring sheet I found on the internet. My only problem was I did not have any wax paper so I used parchment instead. DON'T DO THAT! It buckled up a was not completely flat. I found alot of inspiration in the galleries, good luck!

MessyBaker

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 11

O.K.--thanks so much! I did go through the galleries and had pretty much decided on Darth Vader.

I was thinking to cut him out of MMF and pipe the details on him. Now I am wondering if I can just use cocoa powder for part of the powdered sugar to get a dark colored MMF so I don't have to use so much black coloring...

lardbutt Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 11

Do you use Americolor? I highly recommend it! It really doesn't take much of the Super Black at all.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #8 of 11

I use the leaf tip #352 for flames

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I use the leaf tip #352 for flames

ditto! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #10 of 11

Definitely use a leaf tip......I think this is one place where the Wilton leaf tips is best - depending on the size of the flames it can be any between 65 & 70.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

Now I am wondering if I can just use cocoa powder for part of the powdered sugar to get a dark colored MMF so I don't have to use so much black coloring...

Yes you can, IMHO it's the best way to do it besides buying it premade lol: .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%