Help Me Make This Cake Work?

Decorating By steelcity_cc Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:29am by steelcity_cc

steelcity_cc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steelcity_cc Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone,

I'm making a cake for one of my good friends this coming August and I gave her some ideas and we have finally settled on a design so everything is seemingly well and good except I'm not really sure how to make this happen. I've attached a rough sketch of the cake and the 3 matching tiers are going to be white fondant where it is left white and the colored in parts are going to be a light grey. I don't want to paint this on I want to have the fondant colored all the way through and the scalloped part I would love to act as a lip for pearls that are going to rest along that line. Any suggestions on how to make this happen would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
LL

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 4

So you are going to have this scalloped edge on 3 tiers and you want it to be gray right?
Just cover all the cakes w/white. For the 3 color your fondant gray; roll out thinner than the white layer; and cut to size, including the scallop edges and carefully apply over the white fondant.

Example: If the tier is a 10" round, roll the gray fondant into a 14" circle, cut the scallops and flop the whole piece onto a big rolling pin or some other 'transport' (I'm thinking a pizza pan) and place it on top of the white fondant. You will wnat to brush the white area w/water to help this gray piece stick to it. I wouldn't put any water on the side of the cake but use a brush to very lightly dampen the back of the gray fondant. You don't want any water to get *anywhere* that will not be covered as it will mar the finish.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

Hi,

Check this post by Walls1971.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626924.html.

It is almost exactly the same cake and there have been lots of responses and ideas there already! Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

steelcity_cc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steelcity_cc Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 4

You guys rock!!! thanks so much! you took a huge weight off my shoulders!!! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions but for now I love you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%