Help!! My Cake Center Is Not Cooked

Decorating By Normita Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 5:02am by aliciag829

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 10

I made a chocolate WASC and everything looked good. However, the center is not cooked all the way. When I insert a toothpick it comes out with chunks of cake. The rest of the cake is cooked all the way. Should I stick it back in for a couple of minutes and then add some syrup to bring back some moisture....HELP PLEASE!!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 10

A few crumbs clinging to the toothpick is right - the cake is done.
Turn the heat off and let the cake sit in the oven for another 10 minutes and it should be just fine.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 10

I had a bad experience with choc. WASC, so i don't think i'll be making it anymore. The cake bubbled over in my oven...on one side, the edges were crispy....it was not a pretty picture!!!!

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 10

when you use big pans you should use a flower nail in the center to distribute the heat

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 10

On chocolate cakes, I think the toothpicks will never come out completely clean. I just try to make sure what comes on it looks 'dry'. It sounds like you're ok.

I had to skip the white WASC because I was having issues. I now have flower nails, a heating core, and the bake even strips. The bake even strips have been AMAZING. No center humps that I have to level off and then lose all of that cake. I understand you can tear up an old towel to do the same thing.

Good luck!

Normita Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

A few crumbs clinging to the toothpick is right - the cake is done.
Turn the heat off and let the cake sit in the oven for another 10 minutes and it should be just fine.

Kakeladi......I realized that it was underbaked when I went to torte it. The core of it was mushy and it sank in. Usually, when i insert a toothpick and some crumbs stick to it is fine. However, this was not the case. What I did was sticked it back in the oven for about 15 min....and then poured some syrup over it to retain some moisture. I hope this works...it better not come out tasting like shoe leather LOL!! Do you usually test your cakes with a toothpick?? Do they make toothpicks long enough to go through the entire cake (dumb question) but I am just curious icon_confused.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Do they make toothpicks long enough to go through the entire cake (dumb question) but I am just curious icon_confused.gif

lol...i use wooden skewers to test my cake, they are long enough.

Normita Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Do they make toothpicks long enough to go through the entire cake (dumb question) but I am just curious icon_confused.gif

lol...i use wooden skewers to test my cake, they are long enough.

Thats what I was going to use icon_smile.gif And just to mention....I could not salvage my cake icon_sad.gif I am gonna bake another one tomorrow. I did not use the heating core, I thought I didnt need one for a 9 inch...dont know what I was thinking...I have used it before. Tomorrow definately will use a heating core....but that cake was soooo good. Used flavored creamer (chocolate eclair) for the liquid and added chocolate hazlenut flavoring......YUMMY!!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:46am
post #9 of 10

Sorry it couldn't be saved. It does sound delightful. What did you use for the chocolate hazelnut flavoring? That is my favorite flavor combo. Ferrero Rocher YUM!!!

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #10 of 10

I usually do the touch test. If I press on the center very lightly and it springs back, it's done. If I'm still not sure, I do the toothpick test. So far it hasn't failed me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%