Gumpaste Letter Cutters...paste Stuck...what Tips Or Tricks?

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 11

I was excited to receive 2 sets of letter cutters from GSA, however, the first time I tried to use them the paste was stuck in the letter and I read the directions and they are very narrow, so I tried to use a knife to get them out, but then I ruined them, I gave up. Obviously I missed something instruction wise, if anyone could help clue me in that would be great.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

10 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #2 of 11

Sometimes I will dip the cutter into powdered sugar before each time cutting. You can also use cornstarch.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #3 of 11

Rub shortening on your work surface which will help the gumpaste stick to the surface and not to the cutter (learned that trick from Nic Lodge). Also rub the shortening that is left on your finger over the cutter which will help the gumpaste to release. HTH

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 11

There are two excellent videos on YouTube - check out

Both are CC members thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 11

I dust mine with corn starch. Often turning the cutter over and providing a hard tap against the table surface is all that is needed to release it.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 11

I almost gave up on my tappit cutters because I could not get them to work....but decided to watch tonedna's YouTube....now I LOVE THEM! 100% gumpaste and a little shortening on your surface are key! Good luck!

BakeLoveMom Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much, yeah, mine was stuck in the cutter, I watched the videos and they were so helpful. Thanks everyone so much.

Sarah

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 11

If you let the cutters rest until the GP dries a little, they come out easier.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 11

Yes, a bit dry is sooooo much better. I really think they should be called slammits instead of tappits icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 11

First time I used them that happened to me to, but i got some excellent advice on here. Roll your fondant/ gp really thin and let dry about 20 min. Then use cutters. To get the letters out, just whack on the counter.

BakeLoveMom Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks so much, I will be trying them again soon. I was so excited and then so dissapointed. Now I can be happy again.

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%