Losing Faith

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm by pebblez87

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 13

so i tried molding things and that was obviously way out of my leauge just a simple bunny rabbit pretty much all rounded balls i cant get my gum paste to mix it ended up all over my hands and after much fustration all in the drain dont have enough fondant to waste trying to make it, ugh any suggestions for somebody ready to give up?

12 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 13

Don't.

Seriously. We have all been there - in my case, approximately 9,146 times. Are you making the bunny for practice or for a cake that is due? Either way, just step back from the gum paste and go do something else. Most of the time things get a little bit easier when you allow yourself some space and a few deep breaths.

When you're ready to try it again, you may want to try using a 50/50 mixture of gum paste and fondant. It's less messy/sticky and easier to work with.

It'll be okay. Don't give up.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 13

I agree - don't!
Why don't you make up a batch of MMF and play with that? It doesn't dry out as fast as gumpaste and is only about $2 a batch to make.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 13

Ok, first DO NOT feel bad...I will be the first to tell you in my wilton 3rd class, we did the fondant cake, and my bows were thick, wouldnt stand up...etc. Fondant and I do not get along, I even tried several times at home.
So after 1 1/2yr of not messing with it, I meet a woman in real life from CC, she found me. Has like 30yrs experience making cakes. and Wow!!! She is now my private teacher and free.
She told me to get fondant, and buy tylose which I did, tylose hardens and drys fast. she loan me her tiara she had made and I was scared to have it, and her mold, and cutter. and printed out and gave me instructions via email step by step...and I did it!!! I now have my very own tiara I made.
Just remember to relax, its just you and the material your working with. She did tell me to put the fondant in the microwave a few secs to soften, and add the tylose...and knead in, flour table and roll out thin...then you press it HARD into your mold, be sure to sprinkle with corn starch so it doesnt stick, keep pressing until your sure you have every crevice covered, turn mold around and tap it out...done!!!!

If anyone has problems with fondant/gumpaste its me!!!! good luck. hope this helps.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 13

Pebblez87 don't give up! Sugarcrafting is fun when you make mistakes and learn from it. Just relax and everything will come together for you, thank God for CakeCentral- Ask and it shall be given icon_lol.gif

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 13

Don't feel alone...and please don't give up! As much as I love baking and decorating, there are times when absolutely nothing seems to go right. Like last nite - while finishing a basketball cake to deliver this morning - I just swore that this cake just wasn't meant to be. My black fondant that I had tinted over the weekend to make my stripes was too dry, so I had to tint more because no matter what I did to it, it just crumbled! My dowel in the center of the cake (which I SWEAR was the perfect length when I cut it and inserted) was too long and showed through the fondant (was able to fix it though!). I knocked over almost everything I touched, and I even lost a contact lens towards the end of the entire fiasco (and no, not in the cake LOL, I found it on the floor). The look on my co-worker's face when she saw the finished product, not to mention what I gained in experience from trial and error, was well worth all of the fuss last nite. Stick with it, and by all means, consult CC for advice! I'm fairly new to CC myself, and don't know how I'd make it without this site! Good luck to you.

pebblez87 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 13

i know i dont want to give up its just i have limited money i cant keep wasting material i would make the marshmellow fondant except i have no marshmellow no ps and im stuck at home all day with 2 small children under the age of 3 so walking to a store isnt even an option, guess its just one of those days and it is for a cake its a topper i just didnt want to have to go buy one but at this point it will probably be cheaper in the long run icon_sad.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

When it all sticks to your hands, knead in a little crisco, and make sure that your hands have a little crisco on them too. it keeps it from sticking and makes everything so much easier.

pebblez87 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 13

yea mine was the consistancy of runny chewed bubble gum icon_sad.gif and i know its not the container the first batch i made awhile ago was perfect icon_sad.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 13

Do the kids have playdoh? can you practice with that until you can get to the store later?

pebblez87 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 13

unfortunetly no i think im gonna just head to the dollar store and pick up a bunny rabbit

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 13

Aww well if you ever have time to get some more supplies, just make a batch of the MMF like everyone says and just play around with it after the little ones go to bed. It keeps in the fridge for weeks.

That is what I do. I have a 9 month old so I know what you mean about limited time. After he goes to bed around 7 or 8, that is when I get my hobby stuff done. lol. Hey, did you see my video with my fondant mess???? Dont feel bad. You have no clue how many times people screw stuff up, and you know what? Experience is a valuable teacher. The more you screw up, the more you learn. Its not all bad. LOL. Good luck with your cake, hon. icon_smile.gif

pebblez87 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 13

thank you all for your support i guess my daughter gives me her terrible days when something is due shes 11 months i think she is teething her molars plus i have my 2 yr old niece so there is never a break, and i wish my daughter went to sleep at 7 or 8 if she fell asleep then she would wake up at 3 and be up for the day

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%