Looking For Ideas For Soldier Care Package

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm by nannie

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 14

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the threads. My adopted soldier likes cookies... any ideas besides choc. chip and PB? Something that will ship well. Will brownies ship ok? I'm using the ziplock bags that you suck the air out of w/ that hickamathingy to help keep them fresher.

Mel Mc.

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 14

I think any drop cookie will ship well, when wrapped and packaged well.

A friend (I call her my West Point Mom because her son is a West Pointer) told me that Pringle's cans and the round Quaker Oats boxes are great for shipping! The cardboard walls are nice and sturdy and if you plan it right, the cookies fit perfectly in the Pringles cans.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 14

how about shortbread, they are simple to make, won't spoil in the heat and everyone loves them

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 14

Brownies also ship well.

You can contact

operationbakinggals.blogspot.com for more information on shipping goodies overseas.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 14

What a lovely thought!!! I have "2" children in the ARMY...One has served in Iraq, twice already and almost lost him, the other a daug...just went in and will be shipping out next month. I feel touched that there all being remembered. THANK YOU!!!

I send cookies alll the time home baked, different kind...What I do so they can open a box and just hand out to everyone is: I buy pretty bags for cookies and candies at the store, usually clearance...and I put about 6-8cookies in each bag, attach a little card with some simple comments of thanks or especially for you. and ship in one box, fill with plastic bubble wrap. My babies say they get there in one piece. I ship reg. mail also. This means I stay up 2days before making all the cookies...lol

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the threads. My adopted soldier likes cookies... any ideas besides choc. chip and PB? Something that will ship well. Will brownies ship ok? I'm using the ziplock bags that you suck the air out of w/ that hickamathingy to help keep them fresher.

Mel Mc.

How does one adopt a soldier? I think that is a lovley idea, I'm sure there are some without a Mom, Wife, Girlfriend to bake for them and send them goodies. What a simple way to say thanks to our troops.
Can you send me any info, I would love to participate.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 14

What I do since I have children in the military one being a sgt. I send the care package to my sons platoon units..example at xmas time I did a package for my son ALONE.

Then we did another 5 large boxes and I mean large...and baked cookies and my then 14yr daug. went to stores, churches, business and had a picture of her brother and his unit...she asked if they had anything they wanted to donate for them such as playing cards, freebies, small footballs, magazines, ANYTHING...OMG!!! We got from hygiene items to food items such as chips, cookies, cans of food like chili macs, easy meals with no cooking (they cant get that in iraq) we got games you name it. but you can look online for military, adopting a solider and do it that way. We also got the kids at the local church to make xmas cards for them and picked them up to send at xmas with some packages.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 14

During my two deployments to the desert, my most coveted items were baby wipes, tapatio, and anything I could eat from a can or pouch without heating it up first! MRE's only get you so far!! Sunflower seeds are huge with Grunts. I used to love getting stew or baked beans. Those smoked salmon steaks in a fresh pouch are bomb! Never really was in to baked goods. My wIfe sent cookies a few times but mostly I requested stuff I couldn't buy or scrounge.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 14

lainalee

I do cookies thru operation baking gals. there are various teams and they bake a round every 4-6 weeks. My team leader is Lori. Her blog is below.

http://www.sugarbakerzsweeties.blogspot.com/

I actually sent my package out this morning: oatmeal chocolate chip, chocolate mint and key lime cookies and also cupcake bites (in my pics)

It's a great way to brighten the day of a service person doing something we love to do.

Nannie

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all the replies! "my" soldier is really into cookies... I have a great shortbread recipe so I'll do half lime shortbread w/ white choc. and the rest vanilla; as well as the requested PB. I sent choc. chip last time. He also requested some hunting/fishing mags so I'll pick some up tomorrow. I like the idea of the baby wipes, too. The site I adopted from has a good list of to send items, too.
I adopted our soldier through:
http://adoptaussoldier.org/

We pray for him every night... I think it's really good for my kids (11, 10, 4) to be involved in this.

Mel Mc.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

oatmeal chocolate chip, chocolate mint and key lime cookies and also cupcake bites (in my pics)

Nannie

Nannie, I'm not finding cupcake bites in your pictures. I can pm you my email address if you would be willing to send me the pic. If it is there, just let me know which one it is. icon_smile.gif My office is going to start supporting a company in Iraq (rather than just one soldier) and I would love to send some.

Thanks,
Martha

nannie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 14

mbt4955

sorry, the ones in my pics are actually cup cake pops (on popsicle sticks)

I didn't put the sticks on the ones I sent the serviceman.

For instructions on how to make them go to bakerella's blog:
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/search/label/cupcake%20pops

here are the one's I sent

wait......... how did i manage to add 2 icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

oh, well
LL
LL

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks, nannie. I saw your pops and thought they might be what you were talking about. Do you make cake balls and then cover them?

nannie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 14

yes,

she uses a small cutter to shape the bottom like a cup cake liner, then dip the bottom in chocolate and then the top in pink candy melts.

Of course, barerella has LOTS of other creative ideas too. I want to do her smiley face ones next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%