Need Help With A Cake

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 9

My husband's boss had a death in his family, and the funeral will be Wed. I would like to make a cake to take to the family.... and wanted to make a cake in a Cross Shaped Pan.. Unfortunately, I can't find a Wilton Cross Pan and I don't have time to send off for one.

Could I make just a regular sheet cake and then cut it?? I have never done any cutting like that before...and I'm not real sure of myself.

Has anyone done this before? and if you have would you mind sending me the instructions on cutting it..

Thanks alot!
Rhonda

8 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 9

When I carve my cakes like that I sketch it out on cardboard then trace it on to wax paper. I cut out my wax paper template and lay it over my cake. I then just cut around the template. Works like a charm for me.

Note* I am sorry for the loss...

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 9

You can absolutely carve it yourself!! Like the PP said, just sketch out your shape and lay it onto the cake - no problem! Make sure you do a good crumb coat since you'll have 'exposed' cake on all the edges, but you can do this!
Nice gesture to bring along to such a sad event. Sorry for the loss.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #4 of 9

I think I can help... Let me find the link to my template. BRB.

juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 9

Rhonda

I put my cross template in this thread. My posts are near the bottom of the page 1 and at the top of page 2. You can do this with a 9x13 or 11x15. I don't know if it would work with anything larger as I haven't tried that yet.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=625149&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

HTH.

Edited to add - Using this template results in NO CAKE LOSS!

Rhonda19 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #6 of 9

Thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate all the help!

and " juleebug " thank you for taking the time to find the template for me. I am going to go look at it now

Rhonda

joycile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #7 of 9

if you will freeze it after you cut it you can crumb coat SOOOOOOO much easier.

juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 9

I posted my template in the Template gallery with instructions (as best as I could give them anyway). I'm not very good at that sort of thing... but here's the link in case anyone else can use it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1342628

Rhonda19 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 9

I did it!!! I just carved my first cake!!!!!

It was just a cross out of a sheet cake, but boy, was I nervous!

" Juleebug" THANKS so much for all the help you gave me. Freezing it was a wonderful idea... and it worked beautifully. After I finish it, and If it looks pretty good, I will post a pic.

Thanks
Rhonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%