Gumpaste Flower Book

Decorating By Tinarie Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm by ibmoser

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone recommend a great gumpaste flower book. I have the gumpaste flower kit but was looking for another book. Any ideas?

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

Anything by Nicholas Lodge or Alan Dunn.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

I have learned vast amounts from this incredible artist:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0952584816/?tag=cakecentral-20

Her work is easy to understand and much of it was translated into the basket shown in my avatar.

There are vast amounts of artists more famous, but I found this book to be really user friendly and great for a beginner to start with.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Anything by Nicholas Lodge or Alan Dunn.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AMEN!

However, those aren't really beginner books. You really should be familiar with making some gumpaste flowers because their instructions (I have all of both of those artists' books) are written for those with experience, in my opinion. icon_smile.gif

They are indisputably masters of the art of gumpaste flowers, though!

If you are a beginner, buy a Nicholas Lodge DVD, which will be about the same price as a hardback book. It is well worth it! And then take any of Nick's classes that you can. He is fantastic.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:13am
post #5 of 6

Which of Nick Lodge's books or cds best explains how to wrap the wires together once you have the petals and leaves made?

My floral tape wrapping is so clumsy looking.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 6

All of them show detailed assembly, so just chose the flower you are most interested in. Each DVD covers two or more flowers. He almost always cuts floral tape in either half , thirds, or even quarters to reduce the bulk and make it smoooooooooth. He uses the CelCakes Celshredder to evenly split the tape.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16814

The price of the shredder sent me into apoplectic seizure LOL, so I tried the JEM one. Not so good.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%