Newbie ... Before I Apply Fondant ...

Decorating By captured Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm by pattycakesnj

captured Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captured Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 4

Okay I'm new to this, and am getting ready to apply fondant to my cake. It's a round WASC with a custard filling. Do I have to do anything to the cake before I put the fondant on? I read something on another site about applying a "crumb coat" before putting on the fondant, and I'm having a hard time navigating through old posts here to find an answer. So if someone could send me a quick note, I would eternally grateful!!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, you need to apply a coat of icing so your fondant will adhere. The few times I have made a fondant cake, I used a bit more than a crumb coat and a bit less than I normally would ice. Does that make sense? HTH.

Cris

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 4

most people coat a cake in buttercream before applying fondant. some people do only a thin crumb coat, some people do a normal thickness, some do inbetween! comes down to personal preference, but just now, you probably want to stick to a thinner coat.
you can also just use some kind of jam, but you need a really perfect cake for that!
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

agreed with you all, it is just a personal preference on how much to put on before the fondant but you must put something on the cake or the fondant will have nothing to adhere to

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%