Covering Ball Cake In Fondant???

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm by rebew10

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to cover a bowling ball cake in fondant without it looking like a total disaster? First time for me to do a ball cake and want it to look good for my son's 6th birthday. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

5 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

I will be watching this for replies... I too am currious!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 6

i've always wondered that too.........

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 6

I am just a hobbyist, but I made a round Jack Skellington head using the Wilton Soccer Ball pan. I kept my fondant thick so it would be really smooth. Just rolled it out and laid it on top and worked the ends. It was supposed to have a collar around it which would have hid the imperfections, but it was too big!! I hope to see some more replies!! Good luck!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 6

First I crumb the cake and refrigerate, so it doesn't fall apart, then I give it another coat before covering in fondant (use a thick coat of fondant) also it would help if you do your bowling ball in a marblelized pattern so it would hide the imperfections when you cover the ball, smooth the fondant over the cake and work toward one end (this would be the end that would rest in the base) I use plastic wrap to smooth the cake over and I take a hair dryer in low heat and go over the fondat areas and pat and pat to smooth it.

I hope this work for you,

Lomikesa

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips girls. I was actually planning on doing a green/white marbelized bowling ball since my son's birthday was actually St. Patrick's Day. I'll post photos of the finished product tomorrow.....hopefully that looks good! Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%