Greasy Cake Board

Decorating By shellycakes123 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm by artsywest

shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 7

Im noticing that when I pip around the bottom of my fondant cake with buttercream...eventually the papare cake board sucks out the grease and it looks gross...the white becomes stained with oil...is there any way to prevent this...

6 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 7

Use a waxed cake board (such as the Show n Serve board by Wilton, sold at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, etc) or cover your cardboard in a grease-proof covering, such as freezer paper or foil.

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

I just had the same problem and even posted a question about it just last week. I was told to use clear contact paper over my cake board. I just did a cake and it was perfect, no more grease stain!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 7

The manufacturer of clear contact paper says it is not food safe and is not to come into contact with food.

You should have a cardboard cake circle under your cake which prevents the cake from coming into contact with the contact paper.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 7

If I cover the board in contact paper I use a piece of was paper between the cake and the contact paper to create a barrier. I use a sharp knife to trim the wax paper to the exact size of the cake or a little larger if I want to put a boarder on.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

As I said in the other post, I had the same problem, but I found some "tissue" paper (it's colored or decorated cellophane) at Dollar Tree and used half a sheet to cover my cake board. This will give you 8-10 covers per package. If there is a concern about being food safe, use wax paper or parchment paper just under the cake part (I trim the paper when I trim the fondant at the bottom of the cake, that way it doesn't show.) They have many different colors and patterns, I found a clear with colored polka-dots for my rainbow cake for Wilton Course 1, and pink iridescent for my final rose cake. Dollar Tree also had colored, patterned foil as "tissue" paper. Much cheaper than $8.99 my local Michael's charges for the Wilton Foil.

HTH

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 7

I like to use Glad Press 'n Seal to cover my cake boards. It's easy to use because it sticks to itself, and it is food safe so there are no worries!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%