Carve Or Use Pan

Decorating By atschnet Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 1:35am by kakeladi

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone

My hubby's 30th birthday is next week and I'm going to make him a guitar hero cake in the shape of the guitar. I have the guitar cake pan but i can't decide if I should use it or carve out the cake.

Any suggestions?????????????????

7 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 8

Definitely carve!!! I made a guitar cake for a hannah montana-themed party . I drew the shape myself, placed on top of 11x15 sheet cake & carved! But, i also used a smaller rectangular-shaped cake??(forgot what size) to carve a small piece of the guitar 'arm' that was left off....i attached that with icing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 8

To me it would depend on how big you want the finished cake....how many servings you need.
Next take into consideration what other work you have to complete.
I guess I'm lazy.......I probably would use the pan.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 8

Carve it! The shape of a Guitar Hero guitar is totally different from a normal acoustic guitar (the only type of guitar pan I've ever seen), so even if you use the pan you'll still end up carving a bunch, and I find that it's much easier to carve a cake from scratch than to try and alter a shaped cake (carving and adding extra pieces).

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfallsoygurl

The shape of a Guitar Hero guitar is totally different from a normal acoustic guitar.

That's true. Personally, i think the cake pan makes an ugly guitar...and it's kind of outdated.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 8

I prefer carving whatever the end item is to be - otherwise I'd be up to my eyebrows in "unitasker" pans. I have my rounds (a few diff diams), my squares (diff dims) and knives - oh, and a very small kitchen!
Good luck, can't wait to see the end result!!!
Wendl

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 8

Carve it! I made one last year for my future stepson's birthday, and he loved it. It was the first cake I had ever carved...which surprised everyone because my family knows I can't even draw a stick figure...lol.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #8 of 8

Oh, I missed the bit about guiter hero......yep, they are a different shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%