Personal Home - Gas Or Electric Stove?

Lounge By emrldsky Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 12:01am by kakeladi

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 8

My husband and I are looking at houses right now, and the majority include the appliances. About 90% of them have electric ovens (bought within the last 5 years in most). We have rented numerous places throughout our lives and they all had electric stoves, but they were older (15+ years old).

However, we grew up with gas stoves and have found the electric ones in our rentals to be lacking.

So really...what would be best? Gas or electric stove? icon_wink.gif

7 replies
funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 8

Everyone I know, including a guy who owns an appliance store swears that a gas cooktop and electric oven is the way to go. If you need a range and not a wall oven, you may want to stick with the electric-only because if you are on CC you must love to bake more than cook. After growing up with a gas stove I never liked the electric ones until I got my new electric cooktop, which I LOVE. I think it depends a lot on the brand and quality of the range.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 8

I had a great electric stove. Loved the oven, but always wanted an old wedgewood. But alas no gas hook up. A friend of mine said some houses have both run so you have the option. Don't know if this is true, but mine didn't. I had a gas line run. Not that expensive. My hot water heater is in the garage and my stove is on the wall to the garage. Just had the plumber run the line. Now I have my old wedgewood with the griddle in the middle, it even has a rotisseri. I do miss my oven, new (old) one is smaller, but I love my stove. We moved our washer and dryer to the garage and have 220 in the old laundry room, now the pantry and I will probably end up hooking the electric onven up in there eventually. I know a gas stove top electric oven is the best of both worlds but there are pretty pricey, and I just love the old stoves.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 8

Gas, hands down. I can't stand electric stoves, personally. I use the flame from the burners for doing other things too, like roasting peppers and such. But I think it's more of a personal preference for myself.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 8

If I had my way I'd have electric wall ovens and a gas cook top.

Because I don't have that I have a gas stove because I can handle baking with gas but I can't stand cooking with electric.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 8

If you have the choice gas is the way to go.
I would even go with a gas oven.

I abhor having to cook with electric.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 8

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the replies! Most of the houses we're looking at do have natural gas in the home, so having a gas stovetop shouldn't be too difficult. However, one house (the one with the most wonderful open layout and big kitchen) is all electric.

Since I do more baking, it seems the consensus is that electric ovens bake more evenly. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 8

........gas cooktop and electric oven is the way to go.......

Yup icon_smile.gif Agree. Good luck w/your search for a home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%