Can You Put Fondant Right Onto Buttercream?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

When I cover my black leather jacket cake can I put the black fondant right on top of white buttercream or do I have to cover cake with white first....to have the v neck with white shirt under jacket look???? Thanks icon_lol.gif

8 replies
Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

Yes, you can place it on there, but...it will look smoother putting it onto white fondant for the shirt look. And, I might worry alittle about black bleeding alittle onto white buttercream, depending on humidity conditions.
Just food for thought. You shouldn't have to cover entire cake tho, maybe just put an underlay where the shirt goes?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcakes23

You shouldn't have to cover entire cake tho, maybe just put an underlay where the shirt goes?

This is what I was thinking.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 9

I agree w/the others.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 9

Hi, first I have to say that I haven't tried this method, but there is a method called sandwich method. You take black fondant and white fondant and keep the black fondant on top of the white. Then you start rolling out. Then cover the cake with it. So you will end up getting a thin layer of black fondant.

Here is photo from one of our own CC member Kelly75's flikr photos, where she has covered the minnie mouse cupcakes using this method.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftyconfections/3353680689/

HTH.

madgeowens Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 9

I must be stupid because I can't understand why I would want to "sandwich black and white".....how would that help what I am doing?

Lamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lamcakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I must be stupid because I can't understand why I would want to "sandwich black and white".....how would that help what I am doing?

probably to keep the black coloring in the fondant from bleeding into the white buttercream frosting, if this would be a concern for you, especially when the cake is cut into.

But i also agree that if you just put a small piece of white fondant where the shirt will show through, just in that opening, I think it will give it a much more smoother and uniformed look. However you decide to do it, post a picture on here, Id love to see it. thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:14am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I thought you are going to cover a whole cake with black fondant. And even if you are not, I still think that it is a good way to do, so the black fondant stops bleeding into the buttercream. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 9

I guess what I need to know most, is when you place fondant on buttercream and need to move it a tad , can you or will it be a mess....you know if I don't get it positioned exact the first try....I like the piece of triangle for the shirt idea too....you girls are so helpful!!!!! Thanks for all your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%