Deep Red Gumpaste Roses???

Decorating By Niquie Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm by cakeandpartygirl

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I need to make some deep red gumpaste roses for a wedding cake (my first one, and boy am I SUPER nervous). Can I just add some black color to red color and get the deep red, or do I just keep adding red until it gets dark enough? Will using just red ever give me a deep enough red, and what can I do if I run out of red gel? If I have to use a liquid color with the gumpaste, can I just add some more powdered sugar or something to it if it changes the texture?

Sorry about all the questions, but I really want this cake to turn out nice!

Ashley

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using a premade gumpaste? if you are add as much red as you dare, then use petal dusts to deepen the color.

If you are making your own gumpaste, I use a whole jar of super red (americolor) and omit some of the water. Then i use burgandy petal dust to deepen the color more.

Any time that i have added black to red it ends up looking dirty to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 5

Don't worry too much about how deep you get the red. After you flowers are finished and dry you can add petal dust or airbrush more color on.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

Airbrush for me. Puts a nice sheen on them as well.....that I didn't realize turned matte after a few days! So some luster dust afterwards...bee-yoo-tiful!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 5

so I guess you will be using my airbrush???? lmbo icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%