Airbrush Safety Question

Decorating By karateka Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

Ok....I know I'm going to seem a little nutz, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Does anybody here feel the need to use a top of the line vapor mask while airbrushing?

Not to be too personal, but I was working on my OK cake and had to airbrush a bunch of teal. I swear I had teal boogies for a week. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif That can't be good for me, can it? Obviously I'm breathing this stuff.....does anybody think this could be harmful? I've priced those masks people wear to avoid inhaling paint vapor, and they are a bit expensive. Plain ol' dust masks don't do the trick, so far as I've noticed.

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 11

I didn't do that much airbrushing and always forgot to put on a mask icon_smile.gif Yahhh you do 'blow' highly colored stuff afterward icon_smile.gif
Frances Kuyper (who introduced the airbrush to cake decorating and is *THE* Cakelady) never did either.

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 11

I wear a cheap mask when airbrushing. I made a pumpkin cake and blew orange out of my nose for days. Since then I also set up a fan in the window to help pull the color out of the air, too. I also set up inside of a big cardboard box to try to contain the color. But yes, the mask certainly helps. Just get a cheap one from Home Depot.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 11

What - you don't like the technicolor boogers? It is one of the more interesting side effects of caking, beats the weight gain!

karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 11

I was cleaning the house for a tasting the other day, and as far as upstairs on the stair railings, I was coming away with teal "dust" on my rags. I even did this airbrushing in a box. I'm starting to wonder if I should do all airbrushing outside. My husband polished my cherry dining table and the cloth was teal when he was done. And it wasn't even in the same room as the airbrushing!

I wonder what a doctor would say? I'll bet I have technicolor lungs.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 11

karateka, I avoid airbrushing as much as possible for the same reason. You find colour everywhere for weeks, it is incredible how far it travels. I always make sure that I clean up and wash the floors right afterwards, but last time I did it I realised after having done a big clean up of the kitchen and myself I was getting blue soles of my feet from going back in the kitchen. The colour obviously stays suspended for a long time before it comes down. And I was doing it in a box too. I have tried airbrushing outside but the humidity did not really work in my favour.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 11

Earleens website has directions for making a paint booth for airbrushing if anyone is interested.

karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 11

Hmmm.....I feel like a bigger idiot than normal. I never thought to check Earlene's website for this info.

Thanks tiggy2!

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Earleens website has directions for making a paint booth for airbrushing if anyone is interested.

Can you give me her website?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 11

Here's the link to the airbrush cabinet http://www.earlenescakes.com/AirbrushCabInst.html

karateka Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%