How Much Explaining To Do?

Decorating By GeminiRJ Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 11

We went to dinner last night at a pizza joint with a bunch of family members, and I brought butterfly cookies to share (the ones I posted today). There were still a few left over when we were getting ready to leave, so we started dividing them up to take home. The waitress apparently saw them and commented on how pretty they were (I was talking to my son, and didn't hear the exchange). My sister asked her if she wanted a couple, and the waitress just stared at the cookies we gave her and said, "Wow, are you kidding me? You did these? Do you have a business card?" I said no, and that I just did them for fun.

So here's my question. When we got home, my husband thought I should've told her that I don't sell my cookies because I'm not licensed, and that's why I didn't have a business card. He thought I was a bit rude, I guess, for not explaining. If it were you, would you have bothered getting into all that? I rarely get asked to do cookies outside family and friends, so this hasn't really come up before.

10 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 11

I think some people read to much into things. Not trying to say anything against your Hubby but what does it matter if you won't be selling them to her whether you explain in detail or just tell her 'no, i do it for fun'? she won't be getting your cookies anyway, right?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 11

I don't see anything wrong in what you said,i'll probably say the same thing.

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 11

That's pretty much what I thought. I smiled when I said it, so it's not like I was being nasty or anything.

Sorry the first post was a bit winded. Maybe I should've just asked "how do I respond when people want to buy my cookies and I'm not licensed?"

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 11

Either tell them how much they cost or tell them you don't sell them. It's that easy. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 11

"I just do them for fun" sent the correct message. you are fine.

Hubby's can be fun to watch, can't they? I was writing something and asked hubby for some feedback. he said I was being too wordy. (Huh! Hard to imagine, ain't it? icon_eek.gif ) He said, "all you need to say is ..... " and he went on to say EXACTLY what I had just run by him! So when I point out "How come when *I* said that exact same thing, you thought it was stupid?" And of course he wants to argue with me, and I told him he was a dumba$$ and now I'm into a story that's a WHOLE nuther thread! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But they're entertaining .... bless their hearts! icon_biggrin.gif

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 11

I just wanted to say that WOW! your cookies are FABULOUS! amazing detail, especially the easter eggs!

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 11

I really don't think you owned any further explanation. I had a similar experience this weekend. We all went for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack to celebrate my grandson's good report card. He loves crab legs. Well I made a crab cake to take along for dessert. The servers were all visiting our table to see the cake, then came the manager. who loved it. They took pictures and said they would put it on their website. Another diner came over to see it and asked where I bought it and I just explained that I made it myself.

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:37am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbud

I really don't think you owned any further explanation. I had a similar experience this weekend. We all went for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack to celebrate my grandson's good report card. He loves crab legs. Well I made a crab cake to take along for dessert. The servers were all visiting our table to see the cake, then came the manager. who loved it. They took pictures and said they would put it on their website. Another diner came over to see it and asked where I bought it and I just explained that I made it myself.

You had to have been on cloud nine! That's what I call positive feedback at it's best!

flourbud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourbud Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, I was on cloud nine. It was only the second cake I had done with fondant and the first that I designed and carved myself. I'm loving my new hobby. It's tons of fun.

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourbud

Yes, I was on cloud nine. It was only the second cake I had done with fondant and the first that I designed and carved myself. I'm loving my new hobby. It's tons of fun.

If it's the one in your photos, then all I can say is WOW! It's incredibly cute and well done. It's no wonder you had everyone coming over to take a peek!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%