How Do I Get A Dark Pink Icing Color?

Decorating By Av8rGrl Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm by xstitcher

Av8rGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Av8rGrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I have been trying everything I can think of to get a dark pink color for fonant. I have tried witon rose, pink, burgundy, adding in purple and I cant even get it close. So I went to a local cake shop and the lady sold me Cake Craft Pink and said I shouldnt have a problem, but it just turns out hot pink no matter how much I put in. Does anyone have any suggestions? I attached a pic of the kind of color I am looking for, it doesnt have to be perfect, just something other than hot pink or a mauve color which I keep getting.
LL
LL

8 replies
paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 9

It's just a guess. I haven't tried making that color, but it looks to me like it's red mixed with dark pink... so I would maybe try a true red shade and mixing in burgandy. If not, then add a little bit of black? Or how about instead of burgandy, red with rose, and then add a little black so the color isn't bright? I haven't worked a lot with fondant, so I don't know how it'll with turn out, but it's worth a try, right? Hopefully it'll work out. Good luck icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:46am
post #3 of 9

Maybe the mixing charts on this link might be able to help.
There are a couple of charts on page 1 and then on page 3 & 4 as well.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589750-mixing.html+chart

Here's another one as well:

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/colorchart.htm

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:05am
post #4 of 9

I was just at the Capital Area Cake Show last weekend, and heard more than one very popular cake designer state they use powdered coloring. Beth Parvu's name was mentioned that her products work very well for this purpose. I haven't tried it yet, but they were referring to dark colors, like red. The people I heard this from were on Food TV cake challenges, so they should be pretty trustworthy with their advice. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 9

you should be able to achieve this color by mixing red with pink. start with pink and slowly work in red so you don't go too far. if it's still not right, you might want to add just a drop of purple and then when you're all done, if it's still not quite right, maybe you can brush the cake with a pink luster dust like maybe Ruby or Claret.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 9

Sometimes I add in a tiny bit of brown instead of black to deepen a color...has worked well with making that color in chocolate, too. HTH!

Av8rGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Av8rGrl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the help. Im still having so much trouble with this color, not sure why but I have ended up with every other red/pink/purple color there is. I went to another cake shop yesterday and they gave me cake craft fushia, well that turned out purple. I might go with trying to find a luster dust to help with the color...I think I remember seeing a color close to it at the local cake shop...

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Sometimes I add in a tiny bit of brown instead of black to deepen a color...has worked well with making that color in chocolate, too. HTH!

I agree. DO NOT use black. You will get a FUNKY color. Brown should do the trick.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 9

Are you giving the icing time to darken? If you haven't you should probably let it sit for a while and see if that helps (overnight would be great). I know that lots of darker colours will darken over time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%