Good News And Wanted To Share...a Little Long

Lounge By misserica Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm by margaretb

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 15

I lost my job with a major financial institution that went under just about a year ago, it was a blessing in disguise. I hated my job but was happy to be getting a pay check. Fast forward to the present and I am in graduate school and working part time as a sitter to make some money. My local grocery store has a sign up for a cake decorator and my mom immediately calls me to apply. So I did it. The unemployment pool for the state of NJ is running dry and the first people who are going to get cut off are those who are on an extension (me). I figured I might as well apply in case they cut my unemployment.

Well, I got called for an interview. I wake up this morning get dressed and prepared and head over. I meet with the bakery manager and the hiring manager. I have a copy of my resume (non- cake related) and a photo book of my cakes. They tell me what they do (frozen cakes, slap on some Bettercrem) etc. and ask me if I can start next week. I am in shock because they have not even looked at my photos yet. I ask them if they would like to see the photos and they peek at them and say "what beautiful roses" ( they were my Wilton Class I practice roses)....

bottom line...I got the job!!!! I know some people knock the grocery stores and big box stores since they use frozen cakes and there is not much fancy design involved that being said I am happy to have a part time job playing with cake and icing. I can still do the cakes I love to do for my family and friends and I will have a job with benefits!!

14 replies
Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 15

That's awesome! Don't worry about the grocery store haters...as long as your happy and your bills are paid. Congrats!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 7:07am
post #3 of 15

That's great news! There are so many people out in the world who can't do what they want for a living and you get to. I think it's fantastic and you will do well.

As for anyone else who doesn't like grocery store cakes or their decorators, then THEY don't have to work at the store. I hope you enjoy your new job!!! Congrats!!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 9:38am
post #4 of 15

congrats! in this economy that's awesome indeed!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 9:39am
post #5 of 15

congrats! in this economy that's awesome indeed!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 15

Good for you! Congratulations........that grocery store's cake quality just got a huge bump with you decorating them! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 15

How wonderful that God is providing a way for you to use the talent He has given you!!! Go for it gal.
Just keep in mind that things probably will be very different from the type of decorating you are used to doing. You will have to do some things much different than you want to.......fast, faster.......but in the end you are working at a job you (probably) love icon_smile.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 15

I try to remain positive so while I know its going to be way different and probably a little bit boring (not in volume but in design etc...oh and lack of fondant darn it) I will make the best of it.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I hope you are all making it ok. Warmest regards and happy Sunday (if its still Sunday where you are)!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 15

I was offered a job in a grocery store once...I thought about it in order to learn how to pick up speed...and improve my buttercream work. The pay was just not anywhere near as good as my accounting job, so I had to pass it up.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 15

I'm very happy for you.
Another great perk with grocery stores is the benefits.

Congrats!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 15

Congrats! I wish you very well! thumbs_up.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:49am
post #12 of 15

Congratulations! I wish you the best in your new position!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #13 of 15

Congrats. You get to play with icing! I'm tempted to go work in a grocery store to gain speed.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:41am
post #14 of 15

That's great. Congrats!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm
post #15 of 15

I think it sounds kind of fun! Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%