Fondant Ribbon Border Question

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 9

I've never put a ribbon of fondant at the base of stacked tiers before....do you put the ribbon on each tier at the base (over the buttercream) before or after you stack the tiers? Seems like if you did it before, you risk messing it up when you stack the tiers. But if you put it on after the tiers are stacked, then you risk messing up the buttercream on the tier below when putting it on...

I'd love to hear how you all tackle this. Thanks!

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 9

Definitely put the ribbon on AFTER stacking. That way you can be sure the ribbon is exactly at the bottom of the tier - even if the tier is slightly elevated on your dowels.

Allow your fondant ribbon to rest for a few minutes to firm up, then carefully roll it up. Apply 'glue' of your choice to the cake, then gently unroll the ribbon around the base of the tier.

cakedesigner59 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, Diane! I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed (cake isn't until April). Hugs!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 9

after!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 9

definitely after. And if you need to transport the ribbon, buy some heavy duty vinyl in the fabric department, cut it in strips and use that to roll up your fondant ribbon.

cakedesigner59 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 9

great hint! Thanks so much ladies!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #7 of 9

I roll my ribbons up in wax paper to transport and it works great! icon_smile.gif

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #8 of 9

I'd also like to add that if you're using crusting buttercream you shouldn't see too much damage to the buttercream when you place the ribbon unless you really bump it. icon_smile.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 9

I use a "barely" crusting buttercream....It's a very thin crust it makes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%