So Do You Have A Blog About Caking?

Business By leah_s Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 4:24am by cheatize

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #31 of 53

Awwww...thank you guys for the nice comments! I'm just like you all-I am a SAHM who took 1 Wilton course and then learned everything else from books, TV, and CC. Last night, I was looking through all my photos and couldn't believe how far I had come in the 2 years I have done this. Really. It was pretty neat to see. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #32 of 53

I have a blog that is really a marketing tool for my business, but I do just enjoy the creative outlet of it and the interactiveness with my followers/customers. I have no idea how to increase traffic, though. It is in my siggy.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:08am
post #33 of 53

I started a blog in June of 2008 and have not posted anything on it. I have been stuck as to what I want to post. I started with one idea in mind and then I changed it. I am hoping to sart posting before my 1st anniversary.

I also don't belong to facebook, my space or any of the other social networking sites. I don't twitter or know what twitter is exctly.

I have high hopes for me. I have all these privacy issues and being on CC is big for me.

zoey2jack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoey2jack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #34 of 53

I have had a blog for a year now and I have over 35,000 hits. I find that most of mine are coming from searchs in google, etc. there are alot from here as well. I think it is important to put in key words (i.e. guitar hero, communion cake, etc.) or at least I think that is what makes a difference. I am certainly no the expert at it but this is what I have experienced. It also helps to leave comments on others people sites. Blogs are great since you can talk about what your making and how you made it etc. I feel it is more personal. Good luck and I am glad you started this topic, I have found blogs that I love from here!

Here is my Blog: www.thecupcakeryandmore.com[/url]

SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #35 of 53

I'm so glad this post is here - I've had a blast looking through everyone's blogs and I've saved them all in my reader so I'm following them all now icon_smile.gif Thanks!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:59am
post #36 of 53

I have a blog too. For the most part it's about what we're doing in the cake shop and also about the classes we teach.

Minette
www.minetterushing.typepad.com

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #37 of 53

Minette, I love your blog. Lucky you hanging out with some of the best in the cake biz! It looks like you have a lot of fun. I'm going to add your link to my site. Thanks!

SHogg Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #38 of 53

Minette, Let me re-phrase that, you ARE on of the best in the biz! Wow, beautiful cakes, stunning sugar flowers!

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Awwww...thank you guys for the nice comments! I'm just like you all-I am a SAHM who took 1 Wilton course and then learned everything else from books, TV, and CC. Last night, I was looking through all my photos and couldn't believe how far I had come in the 2 years I have done this. Really. It was pretty neat to see. icon_biggrin.gif

I just finished course 1, and have already learned some new stuff on here and other websites. I was even wondering if I should bother taking the second course.
After looking at your cakes, I think I might wait a few months to see if I think I need it.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #40 of 53

I've been 'cookie decorating' for years, but my blog is fairly new...
www.sweetopia.net

It's a place where I want to share my cookie/cupcake projects and eventually my cakes. I'm still learning how to do cakes and am taking courses. My other major 'hobbies' are on there too... home decor, fashion, health and wellness... I wanted a place to write about everything that interests me.

Can't wait to check out all your blogs too... I wish I could be on the computer all day!

Marian

SliceTheCake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring

I have a blog too. For the most part it's about what we're doing in the cake shop and also about the classes we teach.

Minette
www.minetterushing.typepad.com

your work is fantastic!

SHogg Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:28pm
post #42 of 53

Marian - LOVE your blog!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #43 of 53

Okay here's a really stupid question: what exactly is a "blog"?? And how is it different from a regular website?

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #44 of 53

I started a blog mainly to share with my out of town sister how I do different cakes. She is a novice and would email a list of questions each time I sent a pic. So I started trying to remember to take pics of the process for her.

I haven't really tried to promote traffic, but I did read that the more you comment on other blogs, the more traffic you tend to get to yours.
http://julesm77.blogspot.com/

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #45 of 53

I have a blog too. It is mostly about my kids and family. I put my cakes on it when I do one, but it is not devoted solely to cake decorating. I usually post pictures of the cakes and don't even really discuss how they were made.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #46 of 53

Thanks SHogg for the compliment! Your site looks professional and is so well laid-out... It's very easy to navigate. And your cakes, (or sugar art I would say), is just stunning!

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #47 of 53

SHogg: Love your site - tons of great stuff! I will have to spend more time there this weekend!

Summer: I can't wait to have time to really look at your pics - your cakes are beautiful!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #48 of 53

It's funny I saw this thread because just a couple days ago one of my former students started her own cake blog! icon_lol.gif

http://www.janessweets.blogspot.com/

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #49 of 53

Thanks, SHogg! I have a very talented staff.

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

SliceTheCake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #50 of 53

I've bookmarked all these in my blogger account so I can see the updates as they are posted. LOVE it! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks everyone for sharing...I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's work!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #51 of 53

Yes, I have a blog...........no traffic.............but I have one!!!!!
To be honest, I'm still learning about blogging and such.................here's my blog site:

http://www.susansjustthinking.blogspot.com/

Now I'm gonna go check out everyone else's blog!!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #52 of 53

I was just checking out Janey's blog -- she's doing a great job with it!! I'm soooo proud of her!! icon_biggrin.gif http://www.janessweets.blogspot.com/

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #53 of 53

I just started one with a friend. So far I have the introductory post and one other post. It's mostly going to be a how-to blog, but we aren't going to give so much info on things that readers will skip hiring a professional. At the moment, I'm working on a few things I always wanted to try but haven't gotten around to doing. We have plans to interview a few bakeries and get the inside info on the biz, too.

At the moment, my next post is on hold until I find someone who will give me permission to use one of their pictures. I don't feel right just nabbing one off the Internet even if I post a link to it. I need a picture of a beach themed cake that has chocolate shells on it that look realistic. I will be showing how to make chocolate shells- not the entire cake. My shells look nice but I'm sure they won't look professional. Anyone want to share a pic in exchange for credit under the picture? This is not to promote my own business which really isn't a business at all yet; so I think I'm okay asking this and that I'm not violating cake central guidelines.

Anyway, for those who'd like to have a look, our blog is here:
http://2chickscakesandcatering.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all the info about tags and such. I'm going to try to sit down tomorrow and work on the blog more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%