Marzipan

Decorating By loree001 Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 12:42pm by vitade

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 5

I don't know anything about marzipan, but I was looking at some of the cakes on here with Marzipan decorations. When I first got started decorating cakes, I purchased some pre-made marzipan to make fall leaves. The marzipan tasted terrible, it was sort of grainy, not a smooth product like fondant...was it suppose to be this way? Do people really like Marzipan? The people I made the cake for thought it looked pretty, but they agreed, the marzipan tasted terrible...a lot of almond flavoring.

4 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

The store bought marzipan doesn't taste very well. I have a recipe at home using the store bought marzipan that tastes much better. I'm not sure what everyone else uses.

Debbie

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 5

pretty much any decoration that you would do with marzipan you can do with fondant, and fondant will of course be smoother, easier to colour, and less expensive. keep in mind that some marzipans aren't marzipan, but rather apricot-kernal paste, flavoured with almond.

i like realy marzipan fruits from italy, but i prefer to work with fondant for cake decorations.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

I find fondant easier to work with than marizpan. It tints better and if you make your own MMF, it's so much cheaper!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

I've never tried storebought marzipan, It's not hard to make if you start with the almond past and add to it. I LOVE IT! You definetly have to like the almond flavor to like marzipan. That's what it basically is. It is similar to the texture of fondant.

My family is from sicily and for holidays, mostly easter, we have a cake called a cassata which is "edged" in marzipan. LOVE IT! Even as a kid I would take any that family members "peeled off". thumbs_up.gif

Rose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%