Use Cake Pan As A Cake Dummy?

Decorating By daranaco Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 1:53am by kakeladi

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 3

I can't believe I am asking this but can I use my cake pan as a cake dummy? I want to make a multi-tiered cake for DD's birthday but I don't need very much cake. I would buy a dummy but I'd have to drive 20 miles into a not-so-great part of town to get to the closest cake store that sells them. Would it work to use a cake pan instead? Will buttercream even stick to the pan?

2 replies
jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 3

Hmmmm....interesting thought. I don't know. My pans have like lips around the edges, so they wouldn't look even. Maybe you have a springform or something that would eliminate that problem. I am guessing it'd be a bear to ice a cake pan in BC. Fondant might work...I think I'd put a layer of Crisco on first to help it stick. I say give it a shot....what's the worst that can happen? You waste some BC giving it a go? If it works, then you know you have a great option for the future. PLEASE post if you do it and it works. I HATE spending $ on styrofoam! LOL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 3

Sure it can be doneicon_smile.gif Yes, the problem of the lip will be something to contend with but should be able to be covered w/a somewhat larger than normal border?
Another option would be to stack up enough cardboard cake circles and cover them w/press-n-seal (plastic wrap).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%