First Wedding Cake - Very Scared!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 6:36am by Cakechick123

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys, im so excited but so scared at the same time. a girl i work with's sister is getting married in august and the lady who was doing her cake isnt able to do it so they asked me. im confident enough with the cake (i did a two tier mothers day cake for them (attached) as i think her mum wanted to see what standard i was at and they were delighted and asked me to do it on foot of that so they know my cakes arent 100% flawless and perfect). its a three tier cream fondant covered stacked cake with sunflowers and ivy on it (lemon and chocolate for the flavours)

my problem is sizes. Its a wedding for 200 guests! now her mum is making 2 10 inch fruit cakes for behind the scenes so i need to work out how much cake i need for the rest. i was thinking ideally 12, 9 and 6 as i think smaller tiers look nicer for a three tier. i was on the Wilton site and they were suggesting like 16 inch and 14 inches for the bottom tiers - would these not look massive?? its a stacked cake so i even think a 6 on a 10 looks a little weird and then with a 14 on the bottom it would look very wide and strange??, i dont really want more than 3 inches between the tiers but i dont want to have to do a four tier either, as this is my first three tier and i think a fourth would put me over the edge!!

How many would the 2 10 inch fruit cakes serve? should i even make another say 10 inch chocolate for behind the scenes also or should i just increase the tiers. i just want it to look perfect - tall and elegant icon_smile.gif

Please help! thanks
LL

12 replies
Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 13

If you do a 6, 10 and 14, you only have a 2" clearance between the tiers and the edges of the cake below it. I don't think that's such a big difference. Also depending on the way you do the ivy and sunflowers, you'll need that extra room so it doesn't look crowded. JMO Good luck with your wedding order. I'm sure you will do fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 13

No wonder thay have confidence in your abilities! That is a great sunflower cake you created.
I know serving sizes for fruit cake is much different than what we do here in the US so i don't know how much help some of us will be for you.
Personally I find a 14, 10, 6 stacked set up will look really nice and balanced. I don't like to see 12, 10, 8, 6 icon_sad.gif For the most part, that looks very ackward to me.

DevineDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DevineDesserts Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 13

Are they opposed to a 4 tier cake? Just add a 15inch layer to your 6-9-12 combo. I think that would be really pretty. Also, I'm not sure how much money you want to invest in this project, but Sugarshack DVD's are amazing (they are about $25 each). I bought the perfecting buttercream and the successful stacking. I completly changed the way I did things... and stacking/icing makes so much more sense to me now!

Good luck!!

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 13

I am looking at Earlene's chart and a 10" cake would serve 30. So, there you have 60 servings and that leaves you with 140 to make yourself.

Do they want a top tier to save for their anniversary? It's looking like no matter how I figure it they are going to be a bit over (ie 140 servings 14-12-10) but if you go 14-11-8 it's 115 servings. Both of those choices leave you with a larger top tier and nothing for them to save. I'd be tempted to go 14-12-10 and a top small tier to save.

Edited cuz i can't count

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 13

I do a LOT of 6/9/12/15 cakes. Serves 185 using the entire cake. And also, look into getting SPS for support.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 13

thanks for all your replies. i think il go for 6, 10, 14. its gives me plently of room to play with to do the flowers and ivy on each tier and i trust yoy guys that it will look balanced! It also means i just have to buy one cake tin instead of two to have the right sizes - lol.

do any of you have pictures of cakes that you have done in 6, 10 and 14 sized tiers, id love to see them.

ps all the tiers will be sponge so no top tier of fruitcake will be saved.

thanks!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I do a LOT of 6/9/12/15 cakes. Serves 185 using the entire cake. And also, look into getting SPS for support.

\\

What is SPS?? icon_confused.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #9 of 13

Normita asked: ........What is SPS?? ........

It stands for Single Plate System. It takes the place of the Wilton plates and pillars when stacking or separating tiers.
It is very sturdy so is a great way to support your cakes.

Normita Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Normita asked: ........What is SPS?? ........

It stands for Single Plate System. It takes the place of the Wilton plates and pillars when stacking or separating tiers.
It is very sturdy so is a great way to support your cakes.

I'm sorry for asking this but...I'm confused as to how to use this?? Do I not use dowels...Is there a thread on how to use this method...and do you use this method for every tier cake?? Thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #11 of 13

Read my signature line.

Normita Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 4:32am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Read my signature line.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #13 of 13

fruit cake servings are different from sponge cakes, becasue its so rich its cut much smaller. A 10" round will give you 68 servings and a 10" square 90 servings

http://www.cakemagic.co.uk/html/cake_portions.html

However, loads of people doesnt like fruit cake, so even if there are 136 fruit cake servings its not to say that 136 people wants fruit cake.

I did a cake with 4" difference between the tiers and it looked lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%