Wasc

Decorating By Hovde Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 12:32pm by mellee

Hovde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hovde Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 27

Ok I'm new at all this cake stuff, so please don't laugh at my question. What is WASC? I keep hearing everybody talk about it. Another question how do all of you set your prices on your cakes?

26 replies
TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 27

Hi and welcome! WASC is white almond sour cream cake and it's WONDERFUL! The recipe is here on this site. Prices are based on how many servings are in the cake. Everyone has different prices per serving but average range is $2- $3. There are charts available to tell you how many servings are in the size cake you are making. If I didn't answer all your questions just ask or I'm sure someone else will jump in with a better answer. As you will find this site is full of incredibly talented people.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 27

Hi and Welcome to CC, Hovde. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has recipes, help links and so much more!

HTH

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:21am
post #4 of 27

Here is KakeLadi's original Wasc recipe.. It is wonderful..
It doesn't use any oil or butter and it bakes up perfect for me every time.
I especially love it made with a yellow cake mix and lemon or orange extract instead of the almond emulsion.

Welcome to CC.. You will soon be addicted... icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake Smile If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Luvtojellyroll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtojellyroll Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 27

Best cake ever!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 27

I just made one the other day for the first time and i got such great feedback. I think i will be making it more often

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 27

Is WASC supposed to be done with or without oil. I see a couple different recipes on here. Please clarify?

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 27

I make mine with sour cream or yogurt. It is fabulous! Everyone around here has become converts - I recently made a scratch cake and they all complained that it was too dry even after adding syrup! It is so easy to make too; I am forever indebted to kakeladi for her recipe!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 27

Yes, I love the WASC too!! I am convinced that I will never use another cake recipe again............the WASC is just THE best!!!!! And if you love chocolate, try the Amazing WASC chocolate recipe on here too ~ it's OUTTA THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

Yes, I love the WASC too!! I am convinced that I will never use another cake recipe again............the WASC is just THE best!!!!! And if you love chocolate, try the Amazing WASC chocolate recipe on here too ~ it's OUTTA THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!

I've tried it too - it is FABULOUS! It smells heavenly when baking and you really can't taste the coffee when you eat it...it just enhances the chocolate flavor! icon_lol.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #11 of 27

It is a great receipe. Very moist and everyone loves it. It is very flexable and you can use it for the base of numerous receipes.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:26am
post #12 of 27

I've been dying to try this recipe out ever since I saw it a few weeks ago on here. Would anyone be so kind as to paste the directions here for the "Amazing WASC chocolate recipe" smartin40 mentioned above? icon_smile.gif Thank you!

susanscakecreations Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #13 of 27

Here is the Amazing WASC Chocolate Cake recipe:

AMAZING Chocolate WASC Cake

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time: Approx 55 minutes for an 8" x 3" pan filled 2/3rds full
Category: Cake Mix Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

I have tweaked the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe many ways and found this way to produce the ultimate chocolate cake. This recipe makes enough batter to fill a 10" x 3" deep pan plus an 8" x 3" deep pan, or two 8" x 3" pans plus a 6" x 3" pan. The recipe may be halved.

Note: it is important not to overbake the cake in order to produce the best results. Don't open the oven door until the cakes are nearing the end of baking, or else the centers may collapse. Your cakes are done with a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a bit of crumb clinging to it, and the cakes are just starting to pull away from the sides of the pans.

Two other things to note: first, using the DH Dark Choc Fudge cake mix will result in a deep, dark chocolatey cake without having to use cocoa powder. I have tried this same recipe using other chocolate mixes but the result was not quite as chocolatey. Secondly, although the batter will taste and smell strongly of coffee, the cake will not. The coffee does a wonderful job of boosting the chocolate flavor.

Ingredients:
2 boxes Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
2 2/3 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
6 large or extra large eggs
16 oz. sour cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp instant coffee

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Prepare cake pans by spraying generously with original Pam. Place an inverted flower nail in the center of each pan and spray with Pam as well.

Add cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt to mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to mix and de-clump the cake mix. Dissolve coffee granules in room temperature water. You may also use 2 2/3 cups cooled strong black coffee in place of the water and instant coffee if you prefer. Add remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and mix on low speed for one minute. Stop, scrape bowl, and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour into prepared pans and bake on middle rack of oven. Your cakes are done with a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a bit of crumb clinging to it, and the cakes are just starting to pull away from the sides of the pans. Let cool for half an hour in the pan, then invert onto cooling racks to cool to room temp. Wrap cakes in plastic wrap after cooling to prevent cakes from drying out. These cakes freeze really well. Wrap cakes well with plastic wrap and then with foil, and place in freezer. For long-term storage (more than 2 weeks), place wrapped cakes in a paper grocery sack. The paper sack will keep freezer odors out of your cakes. When you are ready to thaw them, remove cakes from paper sack and leave on counter overnight in plastic/foil.

Source:
Contributed by: cakepro

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 27

Thanks for posting the chocolate recipe! Can't wait to try it!!!! icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #15 of 27

TRUST ME.............YOU WILL LOOOOOOOOVVEE IT!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 27

I made the WASC for the first time this past weekend and it was SOOOOO GOOD. I wanted lemon, so I used lemon yogurt instead of sour cream and lemon extract instead of almond. It was really sturdy but still moist--it made it through my man-handling of trying my first (failed) topsy turvy (I should post that in the cake disasters forum icon_lol.gif ). My soon to be DH said it was the "best cake he's ever tasted." Which is awesome, cause that guy eats A LOT of cake. I want to try to make it with mango this weekend.

mariahrose17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahrose17 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 27

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but could wasc be used with a poundcake mix?

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahrose17

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but could wasc be used with a poundcake mix?

I would imagine you could, because I see other variations of WASC with things besides the white cake mix. The best way to figure out is to try... that's my favorite way. I am a trial and error kind of girl. But, like you said, maybe it has been covered.

mellee Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 27

Thank you smartin40!! icon_smile.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #20 of 27

I think you will love the WASC. It is very versatile, and delicious no matter how you make it. I've made lemon, Bailey's, lemon ginger, almond chocolate chip, coconut and pumpkin spice variations and all of them have been delicious and received rave reviews.

Experiment with it a little or a lot. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahrose17

when i took the basic cake decorating class a my local cake supply store, the instructor gave us a recipe similar to wasc:

I box Ducan Hines yellow cake mix
1 box Dromedary Pound Cake Mix*

use the ingredients on the boxes together and bake at 350, use extra flavoring of your choice.

this recipe makes a denser cake but moist and durable. I personally prefer scratch cakes but this is a great recipe.

* YOU CAN USE BETTY CROCKER POUND CAKE MIX IF DROMEDARY ISN'T AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA.

mellee Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #22 of 27

Hmmm....interesting recipe tiawanna02! Will have to try! icon_smile.gif

Ack. Another question ladies. In the WASC recipe, what do you mean by "emulsion" -- stronger than extract? Thank you!

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #23 of 27

Has anyone used this recipe with scratch cakes? I try to make all of my recipes from scratch.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahsm

Has anyone used this recipe with scratch cakes? I try to make all of my recipes from scratch.

sylvia weinstock has a recipe that is similar to this:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc13.htm

you can add almond flavoring it you want. you dont need to bake that long, the recipe is enough for 2 8x2in rounds icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #25 of 27

.....what do you mean by "emulsion" -- stronger than extract?.....

There are flavorings; extracts and emulsions. Flavoring is the weakest of the three....means you use more for a more intense flavor.
Extract are a bit stronger than flavorings
Emulsions (usually only available via wholesalers) is very strong and you usually can use about 1/2 the amount for a great flavor. It also is a thicker consistency.

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #26 of 27

I was wondering if it is necessary to add all of the sugar that the cake calls for? It just seems like a lot to add on top of all the sugar that the cake mixes already come with. Sorry if this question as been posted before.

I am very excited about trying out this recipe soon...especially after reading all of the feedback from people

mellee Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:32pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks for the explanation kakeladi. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%