Rubber Cake Pans Vs. Metal Cake Pans

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm by Escaliba

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 18

Just wondering what most people use?

I have mainly metal pans but for some reason i couldn't find my square pans last night and my husband ran out to Canadian Tire and all they had was the Rubber Square Cake Pans.

I first think they are garbage. They burnt the sides of my cakes and i felt they didn't rise as nicely as the metal pans.

Anybody else have the same problem?

Does anybody have anything good to say about the Rubber pans?

17 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 18

I hate them too. They don't seem to conduct heat like the metal pans and everything stcks!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 18

I cant stand the silicone ones! They collapse too easy and the cakes dont come out level at all! You basically have to put a cookie sheet under them just to move them around. Too much trouble in my book!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 18

Nothing browns in them. They're wobbly and difficult to flip. But more importantly, I don't see what the benefit to using them is???

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 18

ive heard there supposed to be super non stick and great conducters of heat and make the most perfect cakes and cooked food ever!!! HA! Big fat lie!! i went out and bought me self some and they were terrible!!!!! burnt on the outside, Raw in the middle. Everything stook!!! i took mine back and got my money back!

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 18

Over the years, I've accumulated several different shaped silicone pans and haven't been impressed with a single one. I definately prefer my metal pans. Those silicone things are being tossed into my Spring yard sale box...... thumbsdown.gif

SimplySensational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensational Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #7 of 18

I also have mainly metal pans however I do have a flower shaped silicone pan and I love it. I had to do quite a bit of research on how to use it properly but once I got it down it's great.

I do need to use a cookie sheet under it. I cook at about 25-50 degrees lower than the recipe says so it takes quite a bit longer and you need to cook it on the bottom rack of your oven. Since doing this I haven't had any problems...it was trial and error to see how my oven heated though.

Good Luck!

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 18

I'll have to try the cookie sheet and turning down the heat next time i decide to use them.

I just found the cakes didn't really rise and the edges were burnt.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 18

I use silpats for baking and candy making, but silicone bakeware, for me, is a no-go. Nothing takes the place fo good old-fashioned pans, for me.

Siliconepans/molds are, however, FANTASTIC for semifreddo, ice cream cakes and other frozen desserts.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 18

I don't have many, but I know I have to fiddle with temperature and I rotate half way through.

i do love the silicone as PinkZiab said for baking and for candy making.

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 18

I baked a cheesecake in one and loved it for that purpose. My water bath did not leak in and I just popped the cheesecake right out after I chilled it. I haven't tried a regular cake in it though because I have such great metal pans for that.

Stacey16303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey16303 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 18

I can't stand the silicon bakeware. I, too, have heard great things about them so my MIL got me a BUNCH for christmas. I used them, my cake stuck - I thought they were supposed to be super non-stick. Nope! So now I have all this silicon bakeware and there's no way I"ll use it. thumbsdown.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif Bummer.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #13 of 18

Total garbage thumbsdown.gif The little starter set I have is in the yard sale box for one weekend this summer.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #14 of 18

I don't care for baking in them at all. I do love to give them to my sister as gifts (she wonders why her cakes never come out that great).

If you have any silicone muffin pans or mini muffin pans, don't toss them...those are great for drying fondant flowers in.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #15 of 18

I love the Silpats for cookies, and rolling out pie dough and fondant. but the pans are garbage!! I baked a loaf cake, and the whole pan 'sagged' out to the sides, so it was wide and ugly. and burnt on the edges. I use it now just for freezing ices or molding jello.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 18

I have silicone muffin pan and a heart shaped cake pan that I got at Target last Valentines Day.... I use the muffin pan for home use to bake muffins in and it works fine for me, I just pop 'em out. The heart pan was absolutely wonderful for making my jumbo cookies for Valentines Day. I baked on a cookie sheet and let cool completely and then just turned them over and the cookie slid right out. Here's a link to the picture of the cookie.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1311393

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #17 of 18

I am in the boat with everyone else that hates their silicone pans. I found that when I baked muffins or cupcakes in them, the food had a funky taste to it. I now just stick to my metal pans (no pun intended).

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 18

Very many thanks everyone for the warnings & the information.
I have often wondered about the silicone/rubber cake tins but had not yet tried them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%