Rapsberry Filling?

Decorating By GenGen Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 2:10am by GenGen

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 25

After nearly completing my 2nd consecutive weekend cakes i was just in the middle of finishing a "kitchen cake" to go with this weekend cake when i got a phone call from a friend for another order, a small baby shower cake with the Bee theme, and she said the mom to be loves raspberry filling.. they do not sell stuff like that in this town only raspberry jams and pie filling which in the can is mostly berries with juice not the kind that goes on a cake.

need to pick my fellow cc'rs minds and see if there's a Simple solution or should i seek a substitution? it wont be a large cake i'm sure. she said it was to be for about 10 people.

24 replies
candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 25

Hi,

I use raspberry preserves, usually the cheapest brand I can find, and I often get rave reviews about the "wonderful fillings" in my cakes.

Good luck!!

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 25

I use raspberry jam, seeds and all (mine is homemade from my backyard raspberries) and it's my most-requested filling.

Good luck.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 25

This is my favorite. It uses a bag of frozen raspberries. It's less super sweet than preserves, and it's a bit firmer so it doesn't run out when you cut the cake or soak into the layers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-Raspberry-Filling.html

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 25

Oh, BTW, I cut the recipe in half and it's plenty for an 8 or 9 inch round cake.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 25

I mix raspberry jam & buttercream icing: a cup of jam to a cup of icing. It's delicious. HTH

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 25

the raspberry mousse filling, recipe on this site, is absolutely delicious. I have made it several times and everyone loves it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 25

I always use seedless raspberry jam. It's always been good to me. I don't like the seeds. I use the Dickinson brand. It's higher quality than the other brands at the store, to me.

You can make raspberry "mousse" by folding seedless rasperry jam that has been stirred to make it "loose" into stabilized whipped cream.

prterrell Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 25

I always use seedless raspberry jam. It's always been good to me. I don't like the seeds. I use the Dickinson brand. It's higher quality than the other brands at the store, to me.

You can make raspberry "mousse" by folding seedless rasperry jam that has been stirred to make it "loose" into stabilized whipped cream.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 25

I use Polanta all fruit with 1/2 package raspberry jello. Just heat the Polanta, mix in the jello and stir. Let it cool and it's awesome!

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 25

The raspberry filling that gets the best reception is one that I got from someone on CC, sorry I don't remember who. It's simple:

1 can raspberry pie filling (I've used Comstock and Solo brands)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 jar of marshmallow creme

Beat the cream cheese until creamy and add the marshmallow creme. Once it is mixed, add the pie filling.

It's creamy and good without being uber sweet like BC and jam. Easy too!! Good luck!!

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #12 of 25

wow thanks for the replies, my email notifier didn't work.. i'll have to check out the recipes as those brands aren't carried here and i don't have time to drive to a town that would = which would be an hour away minimum for me. (if anyone's curious just look on the map for orofino idaho its about an hour from Lewiston on the Id/WA border lol then you'll understand)

can i take raspberry jam, push it through a sieve or something to make it seedless? i'll toss the idea of mixing the jam with buttercream it sounds great. i did try to recommend cream cheese but my friend didn't sound too thrilled with it- she's throwing a friend of hers- a baby shower saturday. (oops i missed adding that to my original post sorry)

that raspberry mousse sounds good too. will give me something to read if i get bored at work tomorrow.

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #13 of 25

hubbys question.. is seedless raspberry jam; jelly? sorry if i sound dunce i just completed a big cake today and i'm bushed lol attended the event (father inlaws retirement party i'll post pics soon as i find the camera cord)

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #14 of 25

third time lol that mousse filling sounds great too! so many choices!! *drools* i love the part with the homemade jam- we grow raspberries too but not enough yet for that..

i may end up going with the one with the frozen raspberries thats firmer just in case..

sorry for the multiple postings.. i'll return to a resemblance of sanity or close to that around tuesday - muhahhaha lol

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #15 of 25

I have taken raspberry jam, heated it up and pushed the seeds through the sieve.... to make it seedless and let it cool and used that. Easier to buy seedless jam, but couldnt find it here where I am.

Good luck.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #16 of 25

I use seedless polaner all fruit. I've used the raspberry and the strawberry and it tastes great.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #17 of 25

I just made one yesteday using raspberry preserves. It taste and looks good if you torte the layers thinly and adding an alternate filling of raspberry and BC.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #18 of 25

1 lb. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
Bring to a boil

At this point, I'll add enough cornstarch to reach the consistency I'm looking for. Make sure you cook the fruit for a minute or two after adding the cornstarch.

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #19 of 25

agreed pinkbox, thats why i asked about sieving it. i don't think i'll be able to find it here, but its possible.

i do have to ask though what is polaner?

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:11am
post #20 of 25

http://www.bgfoods.com/polaner/p_allfruit.asp

This is the stuff I use. I've only tried the seedless raspberry & strawberry though. I get it at the supermarket. (Stop and shop)

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #21 of 25

OOoh ok.. insert Duh moment here lol. i'll take alook and see if they have it at our stores.. never know they do sometimes carry hard to get items.for a while *shrugs* never lasts though

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:15am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

1 lb. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
Bring to a boil

At this point, I'll add enough cornstarch to reach the consistency I'm looking for. Make sure you cook the fruit for a minute or two after adding the cornstarch.

This sounds good and easy!! icon_smile.gif

GenGen Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 25

mm speaking of raspberries, RylanTy, are you sporting a delicious dish of said berries in your avatar? how dare you tease us lol.. (i love fresh berries!)

prterrell Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

hubbys question.. is seedless raspberry jam; jelly? sorry if i sound dunce i just completed a big cake today and i'm bushed lol attended the event (father inlaws retirement party i'll post pics soon as i find the camera cord)

No, jam and jelly are not the same. Jelly is made just with the juice of the fruit, while jam is made using the pulp and juice of the fruit.

GenGen Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #25 of 25

*sigh* my friend ended up cancelling the order yesterday. the cake is for a family member i did discover and turns out my friends mom had bought supplies already and is going to be making the cake- however i still plan to practice making this filling it sounds delish! and raspberries are hubby's favorite icon_smile.gif thanks so much for everyone's help!! (hugs for the effort! hehe)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%